Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: UUinMN Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: How can my company make a loan to me? Date: 3/10/1999 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, Matt.

This is not professional opinion, so take with a grain of salt. OTOH, I am also a consultant, and own a C-corp, of which I'm the only employee. (I chose C on purpose, for other reasons, so I don't have direct experience with S-corp distributions.)

Yes, you can loan money back and forth between yourself and your corporation. I've done this--mostly from me to the corporation, when it was new. I didn't bother with loan documents (why sign a page as both creditor and borrower?), but I did mark the checks, and set up a separate account in QuickBooks to track it. And I did pay the loans off. I think this is a sufficient paper trail to make it clear that they were loans.

However, this probably won't help you with your situation. Your corporation would have to report Loan to Owner of $3400 as an asset, and would show a profit. And owe taxes.

Aside from that, you have to be somewhat careful about S-corp distributions. Since the corporation generated income by employing you as a consultant, it has to pay you a "reasonable" salary. What's reasonable? Something similar to what you would have been paid by some other corporation to do a similar amount of work. I don't know how much that is, but you should have an idea. If you don't pay a reasonable salary, the IRS can reclassify the distribution, or part of it, as salary.

If you made a $3400 salary payment in 1998, and didn't withhold Federal and State taxes, and FICA and Medicare, you're late now, and owe penalties. Then there's Federal and State Unemployment, too. Ouch.

When I set up my corporation, I had a CPA take me through all the filings. It wasn't cheap, but I've got a handle on it now. Fortunately, there are tax benefits, too.

Good luck.

Michael

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement