No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi michaeld63:
I'm confused about whether I can contribute to a Roth IRA or not. I made a bit over $160,000 in 2000. I contributed $10,500 to my 403b which brought my adjusted income to $150,750.00. After all other itemized deductions, my taxable income is at $127,000.00. Which income do I use?

I'm going to give this a shot, but look for verification from someone else, though. The important number is your modified adjusted gross income, which is before your itemized deductions and exemptions come out, so it's not the $127,000.00 you quoted. You'll prolly have to use the $150,750.00 amount and have a reduced contribution, filing a married joint return. Just to be sure, don't include interest, dividends or capital gains in your AGI.

For more on this, IRS publication 590 will provide plenty of info, as well as the tax board FAQ, both links are here:


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.