Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NorthCarolinaKen Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 38  
Subject: Re: Checkpoint Date: 1/11/2004 8:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Mike,

I think WIT was a bargain around $20 but I will not add to my position here. My style is to find companies like Wipro with wide open opportunity and low stock prices. These prices are no longer low.

On the other hand, economics will drive our relationships with India and China. Shifts like this have happened to the country for many decades. Consider that we developed and manufactured all consumer electronics until the Japanese took that away from us. There are people dislocated and hurt by these shifts but it isn't possible to protect them any any attempt just distorts and amplifies the damage. I have little concern for political intervention here and it wouldn't make any difference given my investment horizon.

I think the chief issue with any tech investing is the question of whether business and particularly American business will return to major technology investments. This is the one crucial issue. If investment returns to the relative scale of the mid '90s, before the Y2K and bubble excesses, we will be back in a major labor shortage in techology. There will not be enough people to do the technology work and labor will have to be imported and jobs exported. So I expect a push-pull relationship with India. Labor costs will pull and the lack of US talent will push. This is my fundamental thesis and why I invest so heavily in tech.

Great to see you are still around and best of luck in your investing.

Ken
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement