Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi: My father's estate took six months to settle. During that time
his stocks received dividends, some went up in value, some down, etc.
My question is how to I report this internal buildup for myself and for my brother who got 1/2 of the proceeds? Help!

If a formal Estate was established (did you get an EIN?), then the Estate files a Fiduciary Return (Form 1041). If the income or assets were disbursed to the beneficiaries, that will be reported on Schedule K-1 of Form 1041, a copy of which is given to each beneficiary. Schedule K-1 (and its instructions) tell you how to transfer each of the numbers to your personal tax return. In general, either the estate or the beneficiaries will be taxed on the dividend and interest income, and may take deductions for deductible expenses. Changes in value of stocks and other investments are ignored until they are sold.

Dealing with Estate income tax issues is not for the timid. The rules are different from those of personal income taxes. I strongly suggest consulting a tax professional.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.