UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: gapfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461  
Subject: Re: This is a slow board Date: 2/19/2007 10:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi OKlady8. It is nice to see your post and to hear you are still attending meetings. Congratulations as you approach your 42nd year sober. I too appreciate hearing people state how they continue to hear people who "get back" to meetings what has happened to them. Most that I hear sharing are about the troubles that occurred which might or might not have caused them to return to drinking. I am sure that I could soon forget just how serious drinking had become for me, how I wished to "end it all" and for a solution. How lucky I was to find people who were kind and compassionate who would share what worked for them. I fortunately was not "forced" to attend AA, and was "shocked" to find that I "qualified" without losing "everything yet." I had kept my job, my wife, my home and many things but saw that I was on my way to losing all of them one way or another.

It is truly a pleasure to participate on a regular basis in my group. It is a small group, one of about 30 meetings a week in a small community. As a small meeting, each of us gets to participate in almost every meeting to share our experience on a specific subject. This coming Friday it will be on the subject of "Paradoxes" from the "Daily Reflections" book because I am "chairing" again. This last week we had a visitor who needed help maintaining his short sobriety while traveling on a 10 day trip in a car with "family." What a help both for him with his need and for a refresher for the rest of us with our relationships with others.

I recently read the article in Newsweek with some comments on some of the newer treatment centers. Interesting how the "business of treatment" is becoming very expensive. I think I am happy for anyone who makes it to sobriety, but I am sure happy for the people who helped me without charge out of their willingness to limiting the suffering of fellow alcoholics. I made 34 years this last December and hope for many more.

Gapfan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Why is Everyone Still Earnings-Obsessed?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement