UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cocomurph1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46814  
Subject: Re: What to do AFTER the house? Date: 5/6/2005 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 56
Hi Paul!

Rather than give you specific investment advice, let me give you some "lifestyle" advice that comes from the "scar tissue" of my own 58 years of life experience.

The most important "currency" is the smile on your face and those that you love......not the number of dollars in the bank. Find out what things make you and them smile....and pursue them with a passion ( travel, charity work, sailing, fishing,skydiving whatever ). Without someone to share life with....people to love...your life has much less meaning.

If you are not practicing the " Three L's"....."learning, loving and laughing".... you may be walking around, but IMHO, you are essentially "dead".

There is so very much to see/learn/do in this great wide world of ours and the informational resources so great that one should never cease learning new things...it keeps your spirits up, and you are continually suprised/delighted by finding out more about yourself as you learn more about new things. Learning keeps you "young"!

The "loving" L is pretty much covered in the paragraph above about smiling as a currency to be cherished. Isn't a great sunset much better for having shared it with a loved one? And the smile on the face of someone ( maybe even a stranger ) that you have helped along the way is an awesome payback/life validation.Also, don't forget to love yourself by not demanding that you be "perfect".....don't be your own worst critic/enemy....allow yourself to be human, to make a mistake now and then

The importance of laughter in all its forms is often overlooked. This includes the total freedom that comes from sharing something hilarious with others and letting yourself really enjoy the moment...let yourself howl a bit. Also, it involves not being afraid to laugh at yourself....not taking yourself too seriously all the time. As a good friend of mine reminds me when I'm taking a given issue or problem too seriously..."Hey! Murph! It doesn't mean s**t to a tree!"

Another philosophy I eventually came around to was "living small"
As I climbed the ladder of "success" in the corporate world, I thought I had to have the big house, new cars, etc, etc, ad nausem. What utter bull...and a tremendous waste of resources! "Things" mean nothing....people and relationships mean almost everything. So now, despite the fact that I am semi-retired and could afford better things, I live in a small condo, drive a 10 year old car.....and use the money I save for pursuing the things that make me and those I love smile.

Well, that's enough of a philisophical ramble for now. I don't mean this as a lecture to you or anyone....it's just one man's conclusions about what's important. Suffice it to say that a lot of the "platitudes and old sayings" which I laughed/scoffed at when I was younger (and bulletproof)....such as "life is a journey, not a destination".....turn out to be true.

Good luck on your journey through life. I hope you and yours always find the things that make you smile!

Regards,

Murph
( whose parents were children of the Depression and still save every rubber band and paper clip )
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement