UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ngg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15004  
Subject: Re: Getting on disability Date: 4/12/2001 2:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi PD,

Sorry you and your husband are dealing with this difficult issue. Having seen depression from both sides, I know it isn't easy for either party, and I wish you both the best.

I'll toss in my 2 cents worth here, as I assisted my neighbor in applying for SSI disability while she was awaiting her liver transplant. Like most government programs, it's a PITA to go through, but may well be worth it. There are lots of forms to fill out, and you'll end up feeling like you're answering the same questions over and over again. DH will also have to have support from his doc(s) in applying, since he'll have to release medical records. He'll also have to be seen by a doc and a psychologist of the government's choice. They also want feedback from others who know the patient (e.g., friends or neighbors) who can attest to disability and need.

Be prepared for it to take a number of months to go through the process. I'm sure they make it intentionally difficult to reduce the number of people applying and receiving disability who are not really entitled to it. The good news is that, once you get approval, payments are generally retroactive to the point at which the disability began.

Once again, best wishes to you and DH in getting through your troubled times.

Cori
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement