Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Phil and everyone, Many thanks to all of you respondents. It sounds like my concerns about record-keeping are just an over-reaction to my experience managing my pension plan. That's a bit of a relief.
I'm aware of the RMD. Given our living expenses, primarily supporting about 175 dogs, not to mention 4 grandchildren and a daughter in nursing school, making the minimum withdrawal has never been a concern and I don't think that will change when it actually comes into effect. My concerns are more in the other direction, of exhausting the funds before we die.
Relative to the other comments, I had my retirement funds in mutual funds for most of my career and they've done OK, generally beating the market averages. It seems to me that most analysts are motivated primarily by the desire not to look bad rather than a desire to achieve the best returns. While it's not a bad principle, as a primary motivation, it's a recipe for mediocrity. I think I can do better, without the fees. If not, I'll get back into mutuals.
I've been aware of the need to make provision for disability for a long time but there is always something that seems more pressing at the moment. I'll make it a priority. I appreciate the reminder.
As for the Alzheimer's, if it is that, it's an early stage and there's little to be done at this point. Currently available meds are only effective for a short time. My best options right now are exercise and weight loss.
Again, thank you all for your time and concern and advice. Now I've got to fix breakfast for the kids. Life is good.
God bless and Merry Christmas
David Murphy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement