UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1048  
Subject: Re: An excellent read -- and it fits right in Date: 3/20/2013 5:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Randy,

Appreciate your comments and the fact that you're following along.

I hear what you're saying about stock price movement and entry points. However, I don't think it's very helpful to look at price charts (though I could be totally misreading your comments). I was successful twice in initiating a trading position on Meritage Homes (MTH), buying around $16 and selling around $22. I did that twice after noticing that pattern repeat 2 or 3 times before that. However, my second sell turns out to have been the wrong thing to have done that as the price didn't go back down, but continued to climb to the current $40+ level. I made money, no complaints there and I still own shares, but the pattern totally broke down. But that's the only one where I did that and I only did it because I had followed the company for four or five years by that point and was totally comfortable with trying to take advantage of it.

Buying into a new position such as Generac, I'd be pretty bad at unless there was a very clear up and down movement. And, having read that comment by the analyst that the share price generally moves down about 9 months after a serious storm (which caused an uptick in orders, therefore quarterly results, therefore share price), I looked and tried to correlate serious storms to Generac share price. And I just couldn't come up with anything that seemed reliable to me.

Value investors (and the MUE port is based on value investing) are notoriously early in identifying companies and buying into their shares. They often overcome (or mitigate) that by buying several times after identifying the company as an investment. I've done that in the MUE port with Transocean, buying at $63.94, $69.41, $55.99, and $48.99 and Power-One, buying at $8.82, $8.83, $7.48, $7.41, $5.05, and $4.10 (holy cow, six purchases).

I haven't done that with every position (Western Digital at $32.78, $32.18, $28.96, $40.77, and $48.86 or Apple at $328.62, $396.37, $371.36, $525.70, and $511.94, for instance) because I'm also trying to buy more of my winners even if that means at higher prices.

Finally, I'm operating under a constraint that individual investors may not be. I have to make 3 purchases a quarter -- it's one of the rules these ports with TMF's money are supposed to operate. That can be existing positions (and for much of the past six months, they have been) or a new position. So, when I come across a compelling new idea (like Generac), I usually don't have the luxury of waiting for a lower price.

Finally, if Generac's price does take a significant dive, I'll likely add to the position.

Anyway, thank you much for your comments. I just don't think I'm very good at identifying best (or, at least, better) buy points. :-)

Cheers,
Jim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement