UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL [rev 1] Date: 4/4/2013 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Ray,

How much is that 5% spread out over 20, 30, 40 years?
Quite a lot, actually. Compounding over a period of several decades has a far more major effect than people generally realize.

It is true that a one-time 5% fee compounded forward grows large... but the 2-3% ongoing annual fees/costs required to get the same zero-floor market gains outside an IUL compound to dramatically more than the 5% one-time compounded.

If we're not going to compare feature apples-to-apples, why not just bury cash in a coffee can... its free *AND* safe?

I wonder, though, if that 17% is contractually guaranteed.
The 17% figure she's brought up at Allianz is on a blended index of several markets. The structured options have significantly lower premium costs and their internally hedged returns outperform the S&P options alone.

The caps are held as high as the markets force them. Every carrier is subject to;
a) attracting new business,
b) keeping as much cash value inside existing business,
c) avoiding lawsuits by an unhappy customer base declaring ungrounded unfair dealing.

Carriers *have* tried to bring existing books of established contracts down in caps below the competitive insutry norm, only to face an onslought of litigative hell... from which all of the industry has observed & learned. They play it as conservatively as they can, in general.

===============

AJ,

While you accounted for homeowner's insurance and property taxes, you didn't account for all those other expenses

You are right... I ballparked too quickly. This just happened to be numbers from a similar inquiry I had received yesterday, and I need to build it out. When I do, I'll bring it here.

The lifestyle expenses have to be accounted for.
The 18% savings by eliminating the consumer debt will add positive weight.
It will still result in the 5 yr ARM being superior I expect... but we'll see.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement