Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NerdiFool Two stars, 250 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Re: S&P 500 Index Funds Date: 1/31/2000 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi RBenford:

You wrote:
I retired in Dec97 and left my 401K in company plan, but moved from Equity Index to the 6%Guaranteed fund. Completed the educational steps and have been reading this board for about a month. I moved back into the Equity Index (S&P 500)just before the recent drop. So far I am down about $15,000 (paper loss), but am quite concerned. I am one of those people who you can use to manage your investments. WHENEVER I INVEST YOU SHOULD SELL. I cannot believe it, but as soon as I moved my money the S&P took a major nosedive. By the way, my wife predicted this would happen and I told her how could I be so powerful to affect the value of 500 stock prices? I do not plan to use this money until age 67 (three years from February) but I am REALLY scared. Can someone reassure me?

Please go to the "quotes" tab at the top of this page, then sellect the symbol for the S&P index (SSPX.X). Select the tab for "Chart", and then on the chart select the option for "3 years".
As you can see, the past three years have shown about a 200 point gain per year, in spite of several downturns equal to or greater than the current. While no one, especially a Fool like me, can say with certainty that the same will be true 3 years from now, I can with reasonably good feeling, say that what is concerning you at present is simply normal and somewhat cylical volatility in the S&P. That you came along and bought at the high end (for the moment) before a drop, is the way of all long term investment. I happened to have bought into one of my stocks the day before it dropped about 10 points. I could have had a heart attack if I was as fidgity as you, because that was about 25% of my retirement and it dropped 8%. I simply clicked off the Fool and went about my other business, and a week later, it was up 15 points from where I had bought. Since then, I am looking at a 200% gain in that particular investment. I fully believe that the S&P will recover from its current slump and do its normal 200 points this year as well, leading to an index of around 2000 by your target date. If it doesn't do quite that, you'll still be a long way ahead of the 6% your currently missing out on.

Fool On RBenfordfool

The Nerdifool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement