UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: maddiemcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 150  
Subject: Re: Alzheimer's Disease Date: 1/22/2003 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi, RBS

My 84-year-old mother has Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed about 1-1/2 years ago. She improved a lot after starting the Alzheimer's drug Aricept last spring. Her Dr. had only mentioned this drug in passing, and not very enthusiastically. Later, I attended an Alzheimer's conference and a couple of the presenters really expounded the virtues of Aricept and some similar drugs. We started her on it in a low dose and it made some improvement in just 2 weeks. She is still far more cognizant than she was 1 year ago.

My biggest problem is that there are 5 of us kids. Three live nearby, one lives a couple of hours away, and one lives out of state. My mother still lives alone (my father died in 1990), and we don't exactly agree on what to do about that. My brother has power of attorney and deals with her finances and more or less is thinking about the living alone thing (as of a few months ago). I am in charge of her medical stuff (she also has heart and blood pressure problems...and a few other things are going on). My sister has dinner with my mom daily and is there for her evening meds.

If you are interested, I'd be glad to email my report on the conference that I sent out to my sibs.

My mom really likes getting cards and letters that she can look at or read over and over. You might talk to your dad's caregivers about what kind of things are really making him happy these days. It is also important to support the caregiver, even just by asking what is going on. It can be really nice just to vent to a sympathetic ear once in a while!

Take care, RBS

maddiemcwa
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Related Board
Taking Care of Parents
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement