Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi redhed,
First, sorry about the divorce.
Second, your filing status for 2000 taxes is your status as at Dec. 31. If you are divorced, then you file as single (or conceivably head of household if there are children involved).
Third, who gets credit for which tax payments should be spelled out in your divorce decree. You and your spouse can agree on that as you wish, and hopefully as is fair.
Fourth, figure what your taxes will be for 2000, with your filing status and credit for payments already made, as above. Arrange so that enough is withheld from your salary to cover your tax liability for 2000. If enough is withheld, you don't have to worry about filing quarterly estimates even if some had been filed previously.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.