UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Dwdonhoff Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75777  
Subject: Re: Big Problems wth LongTermCare Insurance Date: 7/11/2013 1:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi ResN,

I don't understand how folks come to the conclusion that the government should somehow protect people from having to use their own money for nursing home stays. Before the taxpayer picks up the tab, the person in need of nursing home care should be forced to exhaust all of their personal funds.

There is *THAT* extreme argument; That everyone should experience purely and exactly what they can personally afford, regardless how plush or brutal it may be. In many ways, I lean in support of that "pure accountability" perspective, at least in principal. Beyond basic principal though, that's a pretty hardline approach.

Then there is "how the real world actually is, today."

I propose that directly collected tax-paid benefits (stuff an individual receives directly and disproportionately from anyone else... i.e. such as individual health care) is functionally a refund of directly paid taxes, which are taken from that individual disproportionately from anyone else (i.e. income, or sales, or activity taxes... versus monetary inflation which is a tax on all cash holders.) They are not a "gift" from the government, nor a reduction from society's purse-bank... but your own money, in refund.

In essence, then... using all legal and structural means to both pay as little taxes as possible, and recover as much tax refunds as possible, is ethical, moral, just and right.

“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes. Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone does it, rich and poor alike, and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands.”
Learned Hand (1872-1961), Judge, U. S. Court of Appeals

Because of this, I believe it is appropriate and wise to use every strategy provided in the tax code (after all, the exemptions & provisions are written into the code intentionally... attorneys *NEVER* add words they don't fully intend) to get as much tax refund to cover any expenses possible.

That's just my 2 cents... and if I can get it matched by tax refunds, I will!

Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement