UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFBigFrog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75882  
Subject: Re: Investing After Retirement Date: 1/6/2014 11:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
Hi ResN,

I used to believe that virtually everyone should manage his or her own money. And then I got decent at managing my own, got a gig writing for the Fool, and got "help" requests from friends, family, and (non-Fool) coworkers. By contract I can't give investing advice, but I used to offer up DIY resource information on where people could learn for themselves. Almost universally, the DIY resources were rejected, usually with something like "just let me know when you open your own advising service, and I'll happily pay you to invest my money", or "I don't want to think about this, I just need someone to help me."

Some of these people have far more money than I'm likely ever to see. They're retirees from the "good old days" of strong employer-funded plans, incredibly successful commission-based sales people, part owners in a local startup that has been wildly successful, etc.... They're people who've earned their money but have neither the current skill set nor the desire to learn how to do it themselves.

I still believe that virtually everyone can manage his or her own money, but I've come in contact with enough people that could but don't manage their money and who don't want to, that I've come to accept that there's a legitimate need for decent guidance.

The key things I like about the 30 day free trial of Rule Your Retirement are
1) It really is free -- cancel in time and you don't get charged. Even if you forget to cancel in time, from what I've seen with trial members in the other premium services, the Fool's customer service is typically very quick to help those who've forgotten to cancel.
2) If you spend the free 30 days digging through the service, you can find pretty much what you need to get the basics of do it yourself if you want to.
3) If you have questions during that 30 day window, the entire team and other members are available on the boards.
4) While it's not how I manage my own money, the allocation principles and model portfolios at Rule Your Retirement were created by a couple of CFPs, look to be decently balanced, and include index-fund based portfolios.
5) The service is about far more than just managing your retirement portfolio. There's estate planning information, insurance information, health and wellbeing information, etc.

Free is a great price, and DIY investment management is still a legitimate opportunity for anyone with the time, talent, and interest to give it a whirl. With an active free 30 days to Rule Your Retirement, a person can figure out for him or herself if:
* The intro was enough of a "point me in the right direction" education to become a committed DIY investor,
* The person doesn't like what Rule Your Retirement has to offer, or
* The service is worth paying for.

Personally, I get the service for free as someone with a "TMF" in the front of my ID. I respect it enough that it was my Mother's Day gift to my own mother in 2013. I don't get a commission for pointing the service out to people, but I will tell you that pointing people towards the service has kept more friendships intact and avoided more family squabbles than the "I can't give investing advice, here's how you can figure out how to go do it yourself" line ever did.

Best regards,
-Chuck
Inside Value Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement