Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: abbagirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 274  
Subject: Re: Hi Fools Alone Date: 8/8/2003 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Richlene, and welcome. My condolences on your loss...I know how terribly devastating it is, and you're still in the early stages. That's really the purpose of this board...to be able to talk with those who are experienced, or have experienced the same things. So feel free to let it all out...you're among friends.

I live on a little over an acre and do have some of the property stuff done, mostly that which involves lots of weedwhacking in the long grass on the outside of the land :) I do a lot of it myself though, and it really keeps me busy...seems like every year it gets tougher. (I've been widowed since 96)

Fortunately, our home was already paid for when Bill died. Since my only income is SS, that's a really good thing. I would definitely advise that, if you have the means, pay it off..just one less thing to worry about. Providing of course that you want to stay there? If not, I wouldn't hurry to pay it off.

No, neither of us were investors, just savers :) There are so many good boards here that can help you with that. Retirement Investing is one that comes to mind. Living below your Means is another great help...they come up with wonderful ways of making the dollar stretch.

I know what you mean about the paperwork! It's just overwhelming the first year. I hope you have someone near, family or friend, who can help you through all that. It's not that we can't do it ourselves, but when the grief is new and overwhelming, it's just hard to focus sometimes, at least it sure was for me.

I do hope you'll continue to write....this board hasn't really taken off like I thought it would..so spread the word if you know any other widow/ers. Looking forward to hearing from you again..

Abba
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement