Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22044  
Subject: Re: My 2¢...er, Doors! Date: 4/4/2003 5:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Star!

You sure like doors, don't you? ;-)

Don't apologize for the image size; I much prefer a thumbnail link anytime there are more than 2-3 pictures. Otherwise, it's just too slow of a download.

What I will comment on is the layout of your page. I find it rather disconcerting that the spacing is so irregular. The tables at the bottom are much easier on the eye than the ones up top, where the right hand columns are squished together.
Also, I think it would look nicer to have the thumbnails centered within the table cells, which is pretty easy to do, but since I haven't used FrontPage in years, I don't remember just how to do it.

Now for photo criticism (I'll only deal with a couple)

I think that most of the problems I see are related to lighting. This can be a problem with archetectual work, especially when you are limited in shooting time. You just don't have enough control of the light. (I know pros that get up every morning before sunrise in the weeks around summer solstice, because that's the best time to shoot the north side of a building; it ain't easy). Some of the shots might be better either earlier or later in the day, or in some cases, an overcast day would help keep the shadows from going so dark.

Photo "Duke_418". Nice gate and archway. But the black gate is difficult to see, because the background behind it is also black. I can't tell if you could get a better background by moving. If not, perhaps this would be a good one for much later in the day, or on a somewhat overcast day.
Another option (much more work though) would be to have a large reflector positioned such as to cast a slight shine on the gate, which could reflect that. Probably not practical, as you would need an assistant, but I just wanted to tell you of other ways of doing it.

Fairfax 501. Another pretty gate, but it is too dark. I suspect that your exposure may have been thrown off by the sun shining on the tree. This is a pretty extreme contrast situation, and you would have a hard time getting good detail in the gate without blowing out the tree. Again, a partly cloudy to overcast day might give a better picture. (I'd also like to see it without the car!)

Cameron 606; Great color and contrast. Good lighting. Now stand up straight! (the whole picture leans to the left; you have to be careful of this in archetectural photography)

Cameron 512. I really like this door, not sure why. It seems to have character. But again, watch those verticals; you're leaning again.

MaybeDukeGate. Very pretty. The colorful background really sets off the gate. The only distraction I see is the blown-out highlight in the lower left; bright spots like this tend to really draw the eye. I think in this picture you can crop it out without weakening the overall image.

The only other comment I'll add is that the last table seems to have a bunch of broken links.

David
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement