Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58668  
Subject: Hi! Starting Again Date: 2/24/2006 9:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
Hi all! <waves>

It's been a very long time since I posted much on this board. Like a lot of people who struggle with weight, my weight has been up and down but unfortunatley more up than down the last few years. I'm embarking on a new effort to change this.

<background>
I am a single 31 year old woman. My start weight for my latest and greatest effort and improving my health and slimming down was 256.4. OUCH OUCH OUCH.

My parents are both overweight, diabetes runs all through the family, as does heart disease and high blood pressure. At 31, I haven't had any of these problems but I see the writing on the wall and know I have to do something.

About four years ago or so, I lost about 40 pounds using Weight Watchers online. This was great, but a few months after that my life was turned around when I moved across the state and started a new job. Over the next 3 years, I gained all the weight I lost, plus about 5 more pounds or so. I have engaged in a few half hearted attempts to do better and lose some weight, but never was as serious as the time I lost the weight on weight watchers.

<fast forward to the present>
About two weeks ago, I got sick on a thursday and was sick for a few days. During this period of time I got very mopey and started feeling negative and sort of sorry for myself. There were a lot of things that came to mind, not the least of which is that I should be in the prime of my life and I am tired, achy, obese, and don't like looking in the mirror, and that I haven't been able to find the strength to lose much weight in the past couple of years.

On Monday, 2/13, I woke up with a thought in my head. The thought was "dianakalt, you will join weight watchers again. It is the only thing that worked for you, and you know it can work again. You have a friend attending a weight watchers meeting she likes and you can go with her. You owe this to yourself."

So on Tuesday, 2/14 I attended my first ever weight-watchers meeting (as I said before, my first WW gig was online). I went with my friend, weighed in at the aforementioned 256.4, and began a journey.

My first week on weight watchers I did very well, felt good about it, and lost 3 pounds. I am ever so happy about it, and I feel much better because I have been preparing more food at home and eating lost of veggies and fruits and having water.

YAY ME!

However, it gets better. I discovered another friend at work who wants to lose a similar amount of weight that I did. She and I got to talking about the topic, and ended up signing up for the gym at my work. It's one of the cheapest possible gyms I could join, with no contract, and is like 500 feet from my desk. She and I worked out together 2 times this week and are planning to do it 2-3 times a week whenever we can.

I already am feeling better from all my efforts. I have a long way to go (around 90-100 pounds to lose) but for the first time since my initial 40 pound loss, I feel like there is hope to do it.

I hope everyone else is doing well and I look forward to reading whenever I get a chance.

d
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48835 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting Again Date: 2/25/2006 8:06 AM
Recommendations: 0
Good for you for starting again!

I think losing weight is sort of like quitting smoking. Both require true lifestyle change if they are going to last long term, both get you in much better shape/health if you stick with them, both leave you feeling better physically and also proud of yourself for your accomplishments.

BUT because both involve long-term daily habits, both are challenging and it is completely normal to have to try lots of times and in different ways or with different approaches before a person finds the one that is going to ultimately be successful.

I know WW works, the F2F meetings are hugely helpful for support, and having a friend going through this with you is a wonderful predictor for success.

My money says you are on your way!

Best,
TeacherH

Author: drome Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48840 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting Again Date: 2/25/2006 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, I wish you well in this your second effort. I'm presuming that you want to be successful this go around. Two questions:
What specifically do you plan to do differently this time that you didn't do last time?
If you imagine yourself at your desired weight level, say 90-100 pounds less than your current weight, how do you plan to conduct yourself at that level so that you remain there?

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48841 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting Again Date: 2/25/2006 9:50 PM
Well, I wish you well in this your second effort.

Thanks!

I'm presuming that you want to be successful this go around.
Absolutely.

Two questions:

What specifically do you plan to do differently this time that you didn't do last time?
When I lost the 40 pounds before, I was putting my personal life and health at a higher priority than my work. In general, the past 3-4 years I have been placing my career at a higher priority than the rest of my personal life. This is completely jacked up for many reasons, and I have made it my mission for 2006 (and beyond) to take my life back.

Specifically, the things I am doing different than I did the last few years (time period where I regained weight) are rejoining WW, which is an eating program that I did well on before and haven't used in quite some time. I am also placing a higher priority on exercise. I have joined the gym at work, and have a friend to help push me to go.

If you imagine yourself at your desired weight level, say 90-100 pounds less than your current weight, how do you plan to conduct yourself at that level so that you remain there?

This is a great question, and I will confess I have not spent a lot of time thinking about it. However, my best answer is that as I go through the process of losing weight, I will pay careful attention to what does and does not work for me in terms of food, exercise, and general routine and do my best to stick with what works. It's hard to say what specific activities those will be this early in the game.

d

Author: drome Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48854 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting Again Date: 2/27/2006 9:49 PM
This is a great question, and I will confess I have not spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Of course I can't be sure about this but I do sense that your failure to think this through now - before you get there - will again lead you to conclude that you can slack off if and when you do get there. For example, when you lost the weight the first time you decided [evidently] that you would no longer focus on it because other things, no doubt important, got in the way. You've now decided to 'take back your life'. Is this just until you lose the weight or well beyond that date? If pasta, ice cream, peanuts, salty snack foods, starchy carbs, emotional eating, or what have you helped sink you in the past, have you already removed these impediments to your success at the start?
Do you have a different support system in place this time than last?

Author: tilnow One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48871 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting Again Date: 3/2/2006 2:08 PM
Congratulations di!

Taking those first steps is the hardest.

If it's been years since you lost with WW, you're in for a pleasant surprise. The points system is simple, continuously refined for utmost nutritional value, and no food is banned. Your daily points allowance is based on your weight, so when you start out and are heavy, you get more points! Gradually over time the points reduce, as you do.

Exercise in some form is absolutely essential now and after you reach goal. A very effective form is using hand weights three times a week. Walking is great, but sometimes hard to work into a schedule.

You will find the weight watchers program is designed so that most people lose 10% of their starting weight by 12 weeks. This is a great morale boost, and enough pounds to make a physical difference.

Something happens in those meetings that keeps your determination up. Maybe it's looking at someone who you think couldn't possibly ever have been heavy. Maybe it's the accountability of stepping on the scale every week. Don't skip them.

Best of luck to you. When I first joined, someone said "if you do this, it will work". It did.

It took a health scare to get me to the first meeting. Hang in there.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement