Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aitraders Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 220  
Subject: Re: Someone REALLY does not like EXC ! Date: 6/29/2012 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi techpatriot

Excelon makes up about 7% of my portfolio. Except for NOV, all of my other stocks are also income producing.

When I bought Excelon, it had first been a recommendation from TMF Inside Value Newsletter. I had been looking for a utility type of diversification and Excelon fit my taste very well.

It is actually a funny story, because I dropped the Newsletter for 2 1/2 years and just visited the open boards of the companies that I had invested in and kept up with a lot of other sites like Seeking Alpha. Anyway, I returned to Inside Value last month, and surprise, surprise, Excelon was still there with the same recommendation and even a Best Buy Now. In the inbetween time, the share price has gone down but I continue to receive those dividends like clockwork. The overall investing thesis is the same today as it was then with the added twists of the natural gas development in the last 3 years and some of the renewable energy investments.

Moral of the story - it truly is one of the stocks that I almost never go 'check up' on. I have marked the board as a favorite, but I find that I never really have much to add, as the story is what you see is what you get.

That also means that I am not looking to expand the position. If they keep paying the dividend and keep their maintenance/efficiency rating up of the nuclear facilities, I plan to hold them in the portfolio for a long time.

I have some 'pillar' (stocks that I want to hold at least 5 years) stocks that ground the portfolio in percentages of between 5 and 15%. Then I follow other stocks more for 3 year trends. But as I find other great companies, I am building more pillars and even fewer 3 year positions.

I am a big fan of Broofield Infrastructure Partners (BIP). They deal in utility type companies, but all over the world. Timber, electricity generation, railroads in Australia, ports, toll roads. They are an MLP, so not for everybody, but they appear to have excellent management and capital allocators and to have positioned themselves nicely for some growth. Their stock has also shown some excellent resilience during the recent volatiliy.

I really like Aflac as well. That is one of the companies that I am currently looking to boost my position in from 3 year to 5 year stock and make around 8% of portfolio.

I really like DOW, COP, PWE (which I think is probably a great value at today's price - there is concern that they will have to cut the dividend, but I dont see it. But I also dont really care. They have the largest oil reserves in North America and they are in Canada. Their day will most certainly come if they are properly stewarded.

For stability at 3% postiions I hold some ABT, JNJ, SYY, and PAYX.

I stock that I have done well with is FNF - the title insurer. I have family in real estate, and so I am familiar with the kind of moat these people enjoy. Kind of like the ratings agencies, every real estate transaction basically needs to be accompanied by title insurance. Probably the one stock I have tied closest to the housing rebound.

All of these companies pay between 3 - 7% yields and the dividends look to be safe and growable. But, you never know.

I will have to go look at TAC. I really like Canadian companies - the seem on the whole to be run very well.

Great exchanging with you. Keep on posting!

aitraders
long Excelon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement