Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3721  
Subject: Re: New ventures Date: 7/25/2002 8:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Hi tennisdeighter,

I have never worked with Ganesha but I have SO MUCH experience with dealing with those horrid "what ifs" that plague your message. So I thought I'd offer you some practical rather than spiritual advice.

The very best way to deal with the "what ifs" is to answer those darn "what if" questions. Lay out your worst fears, decide how best to cope with them and then they are not scary. Remember the words "Expect the best, prepare for the worst" (or is it the other way 'round?). Anyhow, let's look at your questions that I've paraphrased below.

What if I lay out all this money and no one buys anything?
You certainly have not failed. Let's look at what you've won!
• Courage. You went out on a limb and tried something new. Which to the people outside looking gives you...
• Respect. No matter whether your craft business is in the red or in the black, it takes a lot of the previous award to start something like that. A lot of people, myself included, wish they could just go and start a new business. So just by showing up, you've earned the respect of many.
• Instant feedback. If no one even approaches your booth, eeks, issues. You may want to revamp/reconsider your product. However, since you mention people purchasing from you before, I doubt that. So if people stop by, look around but don't buy, ask questions. Is your product over-priced? Would it work better in a different color? A different size? Does it need a bigger engine? ;o)

What everyone buys something and I run out of supplies and have to close up early and pay a fee?
In this case, I vote for having a party. In the booth to avoid the fee. ;o)
Here are some thoughts on this fear.
• If you are sold out of everything, then I'd imagine that you'd have the profit margin to "afford" the $50 fee. Frankly, honestly, I'd be so excited that the stuff sold so well that I'd happily pay the fee, probably dance while doing it.
• Keep one or two of the product unsold so that when people come by you can offer "special orders" based off the unsold product. This will allow you to keep your booth open and you'll be drumming up business for between shows (unless you're like my neighbor who booked herself every weekend for about 3 months and about fell over dead from sheer exhaustion of keeping up after so long!).
• Now you have a better idea of how much stock you'll need for the next show.

Both the fears you seem to have do sound awful when you first hear/read/think them but take another look. Of course, I am not in your shoes and only going on what you said, not the actual real life details but you can modify what I said to more suit your sitch. When the "what ifs" attack, write down the "what ifs", write down realistic, approachable answers. When you get to the point that you write down, "what if there's a hailstorm out of no where in the parking lot and I am struck down and everyone comes and steals the product from the dead woman in the parking lot, who can I talk to?", write down, "I am stressing too much and need a long, warm bath with a glass of wine and a good book." And then go take care of yourself.

I wish you the best of luck with your craft business.

liss
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement