UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFRoger CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2201  
Subject: Re: Motley Fool Challenge Date: 5/29/2006 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi -
Thanks for the post and I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying the Fool. I haven't read the book, so I can't speak to the specific criticisms. But it sounds like the author isn't particularly familiar with our operation. Or he might just be a little cranky.
Some readers can be confused by The Motley Fool because we are made up of investors writing for investors, and each one comes armed with his or her own principles of investing. Small-cap folks disagree with blue-chippers about the best way to make money in the market. The value people and the growth people will never agree on the prospects of, say, Taser. You should see how the stock jocks treat the fund geeks in the back hallways. The fact is that we're, as the name implies, motley. We have a lot of ideas and techniques and principles and strategies and voices. That's kind of how life is. There's no company line and that can be scary for some.
As for the author's claim that we cannot show a better return than the S&P, that's just a crock. If you look at our five investment newsletter services, all have a comfortable lead on an S&P index. We're transparent, we show our work, we have a community that can (and does) call us on anything that looks fishy, and we're kicking the market's behind. Here are the numbers as of this afternoon:
Stock Advisor - David: 50.48%; Tom: 70.75%; S&P: 19.06%
Income Investor (with dividend-paying stocks): 14.91%; S&P: 11.49%
Inside Value: 9.77%; S&P: 6.22%
Champion Funds: 19.51%; S&P: 8.69%
Rule Breakers (after a sharp recent downturn in growth stocks): 14.15%; S&P: 5.52%
Hidden Gems - Tom: 34.16%; Tom's Guests: 39.16%; S&P: 11.16%
OK, sorry if I got a little worked up. It's just that I thoroughly believe in the mission of The Motley Fool and I know how much we are helping investors every day. (Yes, I work here as managing editor of newsletters, so that might sound self-serving, but I came here because I have the utmost respect for this company, not because of our game room.) So when some ill-informed Fool-wannabe throws stones, I get a little worked up. We always welcome contrary opinions -- again, that's part of what makes our company what it is -- but we also require that you show your work.
If you have any follow-up questions or would like to send along the specific criticisms so we can refute them one by one, I'd love to hear from you.
Best,
Roger Friedman
Managing Editor, Newsletters
The Motley Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement