No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, there. I truly feel your pain for your family. However, I want to tell you a story. Back in the 1950's recession, my father was with the VA in Hampton, VA. At that time, the Feds decided to reduce all Fed employees' salaries by 10% across the Board. My father was the sole wage earner in our household. This could pose problems. Fortunately, for my father, the VA had opened a new position, to be available only in Baltimore, MD and Columbia, SC. We really wanted stay in the Chesapeake Bay area, so the first place Daddy visited was Baltimore. Alas, the hospital was in a bad area. At that time, if you were lucky, your family had one car. Yes, we did have one car. When Daddy came down to Columbia, the neighborhood in the vicinity of the hospital was much better, so we wound up in Columbia. Fortunately, for Daddy, he received a 2 grade increase (6 steps). However, for most of the Federal Employees, a 10% reduction was given. When Daddy retired, the Feds hired two people to take his place.

Perhaps, your SIL could be just a fortunate. Have him look at other positions available within the Federal Employee network. It may entail a move, but that may be worth it. Also, since he will be working far less hours, perhaps, he could find a part-time job - or your daughter could find a part-time job.

I have property in the area where you DD and SIL live. If you would like me to search on their behalf, I will be most happy to do so.

Donna
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement