Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi TMF, thanks for your reply. The mutual fund is in my childs name under her SSN. I am the guardian. I was just surprised (taken off guard) when I learned of the mutual fund distribution, and especially when it dropped a huge percent on top of it too. Wow. I guess I'll have to wait and recoup most of the loss, and then I'm moving her money into individual stocks. I got the Motley Fool 2000 Tax Book and was reading about this situation yesterday while waiting for replies. This is the first time I've been faced with having to fill out a seperate return for her. Does that mean that I need the 1040 long form, not the short one? With the 8615 form attached? Thanks, jfkuzas
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.