UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TiRien Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 727  
Subject: Re: When your stock tanks. Date: 2/5/2002 4:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi toofuzzy,

This is a very complex question. It touches the area where AIM cannot really help you. This is were your own DD must help you. If you find that the company behind the stock cannot live up to the expectations embedded in the stock price, then by all means GET OUT!.
IMHO this is a neglected area within AIM. AIM is about cash/stock allocation, NOT about stock/fund selection. This part is up to you. Unfortunately I have the idea that a lot of AIMers stick to their choice through thick and thin. IMHO this is wrong. For example I had just started AIMing CREE. In fact I just made my first sell. Then the company reported earnings, which were terrible and could no longer justify the stock price. So I sold the complete holding. (They were trading at $23 at the time, and I feel that they are on a date with sub $10)
The money is now used in other AIM accounts, so I still AIM with it, just not in CREE anymore.

This is also what happens if you AIM a fund. The stocks in the fund will also change all the time, depending on company expectations. So if you are in stocks instead of funds, then you will need to take care of that aspect yourself.

Having said this, the 50% rule you mention is a good one. There are yet others that stop buying altogether when the 50 day EMA crosses the 200 day EMA downwards. Mystic has a variant on this as well.

I know this does not really help, but it is my view on the matter,
Best,
Rien.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement