Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Yegy,
I have no clue as to what tax Americans will have to pay if they make a profit on Indian shares. But, surely that wouldn't be my primary concern as an investor. I am happy to pay tax, since I make money. For Indians like me the tax on short term (holding period less than 1 year) capital gains is a maximum of 33% and long term (1 yr or more)just 10%. To make it even more appealing this year, all shares bought after 1st March 2003 and held for 1 year, are entitled to NO TAX at all if sold at a profit.
Simply put, I first try to buy shares that can show me a good profit.
Then, I pay tax according to the laws of the country. Period.
India is changing, Yegy. Slowly, but surely. I think you can guess what I mean ;-)
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.