UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AeroFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 43  
Subject: High Prescription-ICL Anyone? Date: 8/27/2005 6:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Looks like this board hasn't been active for a long time but figured I'd see if anyone was lurking. I was surprised to see some posts from people with -9 prescriptions who had LASIK done as my research had always indicated that me (-9) was not a good candidate for LASIK - ie. they have to shave too much off your cornea at that prescription and thereby weaken your eye's structural integrity too much to have it done.

I'm glad to see it has been successful for these people. I have always contemplated doing ICL instead (Implantable Contact Lenses). This has been going on in Canada significantly longer than in the US. It has many advantages of LASIK and is ideal for those with high prescriptions. The procedure is completely reversible should complications develop later.

Here is a link from an outstanding and pioneering place that does it. I think that I will have it done in the future and probably from this place which is in my former hometown:

http://www.gimbeleyecentre.com/visioncorrectionoptions/implantablelenses.html

If anyone has any experience /knowledge of the procedure, a post of your experiences would be much appreciated.

-AeroFool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NewPenny Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38 of 43
Subject: Re: High Prescription-ICL Anyone? Date: 8/27/2005 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
AeroFool,

I've been lurking here in the hopes of learning more about the options before I take the plunge. I have nearsightedness as well as astigmatism, so contact lenses are no longer a great option. My vision has changed over the years with the distance between the near and far vision getting larger as the far vision drops. I've been wearing progressive lens glasses for about 20 years, and they did a great job of giving me a smooth transition between near, far and everywhere between. I'm now having trouble reading street signs soon enough to get in the turn lanes, and the latest glasses didn't meet my needs in that department.

I guess I'm getting closer to taking the risk of more aggressive treatments.

Obviously I can't answer any of your questions, but I'd like to thank you for giving me a look at more options than I knew were available.

Namaste,
Penny

"The Spirit in me greets the Spirit in you."

Author: AeroFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 43
Subject: Re: High Prescription-ICL Anyone? Date: 8/27/2005 4:11 PM
Recommendations: 0

Namaste Penny,

Interesting that you used that greeting/saluation as I am originally East Indian!

Good to hear from you. I made the switch from regular soft lenses about 15 years ago to gas permeable hard lenses. I wonder if this might be a good option for you? Basically my prescription was very high and I tended to wear my custom toric soft lenses for at least 16 hours a day and eventually blood vessels developed and my doctor recommended the switch. The gas permeable lenses improved my prescription slightly - due to the effect of 'holding my eye' in, I believe and thereby affecting the shape.

The transition was a great one for me - it was difficult in the beginning because we had to experiment a little and eventually realized that the lenses needed to be larger in diameter to accomodate my larger (typically Indian) eyes. But once we did that I loved them and have worn them ever since. They allow your eyes to quite literally breathe since oxygen can flow through them (gas permeable).

Have you looked into them before?

Namaste,
-AeroFool

Author: NewPenny Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40 of 43
Subject: Re: High Prescription-ICL Anyone? Date: 8/27/2005 4:34 PM
AeroFool,

How wonderful to hear from someone who already knows "Namaste". I'm a new Buddhist, and ran into the greeting in my search. I just love the inclusiveness of the thought.

I did look into gas permeable, but my Dr advised against it. Apparently, getting a progressive lens that would stay in place with the astigmatism was not yet possible. Progressive glasses lenses are held in place relative to the eye, and the progressive portion is an hour-glass shape in the center of the visual field. In contact lenses, the hour-glass shape must be built as a ring around the lense, as the contacts spin while worn. In astigmatism, you probably know, the front surface of the eye is football shaped rather than round. As you can imagine, when the lens is worn, the world is only in focus when the football lines up with the lens just right.

That's how it was explained to me. I could opt for single vision lenses, using one eye for far and the other for near. I didn't go for it because I like my depth perception too much to give up.

I noticed on the link you supplied that a refractive lense exchange could correct for my astigmatism as well as correcting the nearsightedness. That was the best solution I've read about so far.

Are you wearing a single-vision prescription lens or something else?

Namaste,
Penny

Author: AeroFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41 of 43
Subject: Re: High Prescription-ICL Anyone? Date: 8/27/2005 5:27 PM

Hi Penny,

Ah, I see - no pun intended. Clearly, I don't understand the distinction of your condition. The progressive stuff is a concept I am unfamiliar with. Yes, I guess mine must be single vision - if that is what's standard.

I haven't been to the eye doctor in far too long. I really need to go to get a check up and also I've contacted the Gimble center and hope to speak with them about the possiblity of undergoing their ICL procedure.
They should be sending me some information and I've asked them to have someone contact me by phone to discuss also.

Maybe you can discuss it with them - I hope its a good option for you.

all the best,
-AF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement