Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 52491  
Subject: High-Quality, Low-Risk Date: 11/10/2011 1:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://goo.gl/2MEue

This week, I'm combining these themes to seek out the best companies that fit the following criteria:

1. Earnings-per-share revisions greater than the Standard & Poor's 500 over the past month. I used the past month because that captured the heart of earnings season.

2. Price-to-earnings ratio less than that of the S&P 500 on a market-capital-weighted average.

3. Standard & Poor's credit rating of BBB or better; I was only interested in investment-grade companies.

4. Dividend yield greater than the S&P 500 dividend yield, which now stands at about 2.2 percent.

Time Warner is one of the premier media content providers in the world, operating in three segments: filmed entertainment, TV/cable networks and publishing.

Among its highly recognizable brands are HBO, Cinemax, CNN, TBS, TNT, Sports Illustrated, People, Fortune, Warner Brothers and New Line Cinema.

Long known for one of the worst mergers and acquisitions of all time with the predecessor of AOL, spun off in 2009, the company has had to trim itself down by cutting debt, focusing on cash flow and spinning off companies.

Time Warner Cable was spun off in its entirety in 2009; prior to that it was a tracking stock of which Time Warner held an 84 percent stake. As part of that spin-off, Time Warner offloaded a considerable amount of long-term debt (an estimated $20 to $22 billion) onto Time Warner Cable's balance sheet.

Now the more svelte Time Warner can operate as a cash cow, paying off more debt, repurchasing stock and paying a dividend. I expect a dividend increase in early 2012.

The rapid emergence of digital delivery of content will no doubt favor the content providers in the future, which will work to Time Warner's advantage.

Time Warner reported earnings of 79 cents, which was better than consensus estimates of 76 cents. This resulted in upward full-year EPS consensus revision of 1 cent for the company from 11 analysts. For the fourth quarter, analysts expect Time Warner to earn 86 cents, which is unchanged from a month ago but 2 cents greater it was two months ago.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Raeto One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52477 of 52491
Subject: Re: High-Quality, Low-Risk Date: 11/10/2011 5:39 AM
Recommendations: 0
thank you for the detailed info.
I'm a long long long stock holder of Time Warner and I trust them over the long term to recover and get me back where I've stept in.

what do you think about the Time Warner Cable Company?

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52478 of 52491
Subject: Re: High-Quality, Low-Risk Date: 11/10/2011 10:16 AM
I sold off TWC. I needed the cash and don't see the growth in delivery systems.

Fuskie
Who continues to believe the money is in content creation and leveraging across multiple digital media platforms...

Author: huibs Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52479 of 52491
Subject: Re: High-Quality, Low-Risk Date: 11/10/2011 5:18 PM
I sold off TWC. I needed the cash and don't see the growth in delivery systems.

.. too sold off about 1/2 of my TWC...too early, however..

..and now it's coming down off a high, and I just can't pull the trigger on the rest..

..maybe tomorrow.. :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement