No. of Recommendations: 17
Two year old article. Wonder if these able bodied young people are still on the dole? No government cheese for these foodies!

http://www.salon.com/2010/03/16/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched...

They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

At Magida’s brick row house in Baltimore, she and Mak minced garlic while observing that one of the upsides of unemployment was having plenty of time to cook elaborate meals , and that among their friends, they had let go of any bad feelings about how their food was procured.

Must be nice. I have to drag my tired a$$ out of bed at 5:30 a.m. five days a week so I can afford to shop for groceries and I'm not eating elaborate meals.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Must be nice. I have to drag my tired a$$ out of bed at 5:30 a.m. five days a week so I can afford to shop for groceries and I'm not eating elaborate meals.

Come and join me in the line for free s&it. Gimme my free stuff! I'm entitled to it. And all I have to do is vote democrat. Ain't life great?
No. of Recommendations: 0

Mike

That is a bit elaborate for someone who's supposed to be poor and broke and accepting a handout, yes. But somehow I'd rather see this than people on food stamps loading up their carts with Ho Hos, Twinkies, Coca-Cola, Funyuns (sorry, 2828) and a lot of other processed, nutritionally empty junk.

My dad said that when he was a kid during the Depression, you couldn't even purchase a simple bottle of ketchup if you were on government assistance (my grandfather tried to and was denied, because ketchup was classified as a "luxury" according to the shopkeeper).

-andrew, who ate an instant "Cup O' Noodles" (Ramen, chicken flavored) tonight... they were 3 for $1 at Jewel this week
Advertisement