Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
What a booger bear! For small retail investors, this is like getting stuck with a big speeding ticket. I'm not even remotely offering any kind of advice here, except to get in touch with somebody who really knows this stuff.

I asked my tax accountant a simple question about the new IRS Form 8938 as it pertains to companies like YONG and KKR held in IRA or other similar (like 401k). I won't share the answer, because I don't want anyone mistaking this as being the "correct" one. Let me just say that I asked the same question of another accountant and got a different answer. One of the law firms had yet another opinion.

Finally, after going through 2 levels at the IRS help line, I was told they would have to research it and get back to me.

Even if we don't need to file 8938s, some of us may still need to file an FBAR.

So this is just a head's up. The penalty for not-filing an 8938, or filing an incorrect one (if you need to file one), starts at $10,000. A pretty heavy hit for the little guy when " ... not knowing the law is no excuse".
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.