Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

A while ago I got a email about the tax issues for
hiring and paying family members. My mother is staying
with me now and I am considering paying her for some
household work. She has not worked in U.S. long enough
to get Medicare or Social Security benefit. How much
do I need to pay her to allow her work at my home be
credited for future social security or medicare
benefit? Is there any legal problem in this? How
should I set this up with IRS or other agencies?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.