Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30433  
Subject: Re: Made My Own Greek Yogurt Date: 9/28/2012 8:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
His school has campuses or professor led semesters abroad in various places all over the world, so to keep things easy with credit transfer, (treated same as at main campus if you use their schools or approved programs,) he can chose from those. He can even do a work abroad semester, particularly in conjunction with study abroad to round out the year. Those are nice because you are paid pretty well and often have housing provided or at least an allowance. He's looking forward to doing 3 semesters of internship as well as study abroad. No tuition charge, ability to explore the US and even the world on someone else's dime, all while earning much more money than coming home to work at Staples for the summer would get him.

Be careful though he might end up like me and not come back :)

I hear you. I almost stayed in France myself after living there for 14 months. Would have stayed if Mom had not extracted the promise I would return even before I left.

If it were not my job to encourage him to spread his wings and become independent, I would have been very tempted to encourage him to go with his first instinct to stay nearby, but at my prodding he looked at schools far and near and got his first choice which is a 13 hour marathon drive from home. Choice number two was only 20 minutes away. He absolutely loves it, and I am finally managing not to burst out crying at unpredictable moments. I guess I prepared him better than I prepared myself!

IP,
who actually likes her kids, and can't understand the parents who are eager for the kids to move out
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement