UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HarryG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265929  
Subject: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/7/2012 9:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi -

Ah the joys of doing on-line research:-(

I'm trying to back-fill a spreadsheet to track my investing performance, and I need some specific quotes for stocks that have since merged with other companies, or have gone private.

I tried using Yahoo, but they don't seem to have data for either scenario.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this type of information, short of going to the NY Times archives or the Wall Street Journal archives and looking up the printed values on each day in question?

Fool On:-)

HarryG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Quillnpenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259433 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Harry G,

How far back are we talking about?

Let's persuse some information that might help you in your quest.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/historical/default.asp?symb... insert new ticker symbol

http://www.investopedia.com/markets/stocks/gmcr/historical/#... enter ticker symbol and then hit the historical tab.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=historical+stock+prices+f...

next choice is to go to google and type in "Historical stock price and then name of the company."

Quillnpenn -

Author: HarryG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259436 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 1:20 PM
Thanks.

Regrettably, none of those work:-(

I'm looking for historical prices on Sun Microsystems from February of 2006 at the moment. If you enter SUNW (their ticker at the time), or JAVA (their ticker after they changed it but before the merger with Oracle), you get 'symbol not found' or words to that effect. That's the same response I've gotten from every single historical quote service I've been able to locate.

I guess I'm going to have to go to the library and break out the microfilm of The Times or the Wall Street Journal:-(

HarryG

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259437 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 1:46 PM
You will probably find the information on your old broker statements if you saved them. And if you are still a loyal customer, you might be able to get copies of the old ones if you needed them.

Author: Quillnpenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259439 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 2:24 PM
Harry, harry oh harry,

typed in the google box HISTORICAL STOCK PRICES sunmicrosystems and clicked on 2006.

Werks for me.

http://www.stockpricelookup.com/sun_microsystems_inc_JAVA/25...

http://www.stockpricelookup.com/sun_microsystems_inc_JAVA/25...

Best regards.

Quillnpenn -

Author: HarryG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259443 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 3:52 PM
Hmm - for whatever reason, I couldn't find that site when I was poking around before:-(

However, THIS time, I got exactly where I needed to be. Thanks SO much! That site will be VERY useful for me in the next several days!

HarryG

Author: HarryG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259444 of 265929
Subject: Re: Historical Stock Prices Date: 10/8/2012 4:32 PM
Now I have another one:-(

I need data for GM from Feb 2006. I can find historical data only back to Nov. 18, 2010.

Any suggestions?

HarryG

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement