UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: purcellgal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27818  
Subject: Hit the 1K mark Date: 5/15/2012 8:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
For my 2011 taxes, I hit 1K+ in dividend payments. I earned $1186 in ordinary dividend income, and had another $23 in return of capital from my one REIT DRIP. All monies were reinvested.

According to Quicken, my "amount invested" on December 31st of 2011 was $25,575.27. "Amount invested" is just the money spent on cash purchases and investing fees, it doesn't include dividend reinvestment. I use that calculation so I can see how much of my own cash I put into buying each stock.

I've been buying stock for exactly 10 years. I started in May of 2002 and now it's May of 2012. I started with 1.377 shares of Paychex, and three months later I had my first reinvested dividend of .88 cents.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WyneFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27731 of 27818
Subject: Re: Hit the 1K mark Date: 5/17/2012 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Congrats! It took a while to get to my first $1K of dividends also. I was so busy looking for new investments I missed it! It is nice to see your investments grow "automatically" now isn't it?

Author: purcellgal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27732 of 27818
Subject: Re: Hit the 1K mark Date: 5/19/2012 3:19 AM
Recommendations: 5
It's fantastic, especially when I enter in new dividend payments and the share amount is 1.123 instead of .01123 (when I was starting).

I don't know if anyone reads these boards any more, but I thought I would mention it as an encouragement to any lurkers considering dividend reinvestment.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27733 of 27818
Subject: Re: Hit the 1K mark Date: 5/19/2012 3:35 AM
Recommendations: 6
I don't know if anyone reads these boards any more, but I thought I would mention it as an encouragement to any lurkers considering dividend reinvestment.

Oh yeah, we read, it's just that when people are happy with what they've got they tend to not post. On the other boards I note that people are constantly bragging about their gains or whining about their losses or asking advice about some new scheme they're planning.

Around here we just sit back, quietly, and collect our dividends.

Author: retireewannabee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27749 of 27818
Subject: Re: Hit the 1K mark Date: 9/22/2012 12:09 AM
Ha, no kidding! all that in-your-face-I'm-so-smart crap is just annoying. I like the peaceful living over here, although I don't show up often. drippers aren't a chatty crowd.

I was just describing to someone my tortoise role in the old bit, where I stroll into a dealership with a dividend check to pay for my new car and cruise by the trend-chasing fee-paying hare, by then elderly and tired, waiting for the bus... brokers having emptied his pockets years before... while I have been getting paid to own stocks all those years.

Thank you for giving me the motivation to go see what ALL of my dividends are getting me, including the portion of retirement plans I have in DRIPS.

Non-retirement, this might be the year I hit $100 in 1099s. I started in 99 but couldn't invest regularly, needed to feed 401k and house. Now divorced and without The Spender, I can really target that $1000. I paid him his half of the drips and was not going to sell my babies.

people that don't love dividend stocks just don't get it ; )

Author: Vulstock Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27750 of 27818
Subject: Re: Hit the 1K mark Date: 9/22/2012 5:54 PM
drippers aren't a chatty crowd

They all chat here.

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Boards/Boards.asp

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement