Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11665  
Subject: Hitches Date: 4/10/2002 2:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
I trailer a 20-ft Bayliner Walkaround (about 4500 lb all up with fuel and stuff) with a GMC Yukon Denali as the tow vehicle. Class three hitch (up to 5,000 lb.). The problem is that clunk period between braking the car and the time it takes for the trailer's inertial brakes to grab.

The problem was that when I braked there was this annoying space when the hitch took up the slack so the trailer brakes could initiate. It was noisy and it scared Elly who thought something was wrong. Start off: clunk; brake: clunk. I tried padding the draw bar but it wasn't a lateral movement that caused the clunk. It was the parallel forces.

I bought a Schuck cushion hitch to even out the clunk period. Schuck should pay me for this: their model 340 (up to 500 lb. tongue weight and 20,000 lb. total trainer weight) solved the clunk. No, not partially, no clunk.

If you're thinking of a cushion hitch go to www.schuckhitches.com and check them out. However, some things you should know. A cushion hitch adds about 10 inches. My safety chains were too short and I had to replace with a longer set. Your breakaway cable may also be too short. Also, since these hitches aren't cheap, get a locking pin so the five-finger crowd can't take it.

I trailered the boat back from the yard recently and I plan to take it to Campbell River (hey, it's salmon fishing!) this summer. It means driving to the ferry and then driving up Vancouver Island. Usually takes about eight-ten hours. When I did this before I was tired when I arrived and mostly because of this clunk clunk clunk coming from the back.

If you're into trailering, take a look at www.trailerboats.com and, if you trailer a boat, get the magazine. Just remember Michael's Rule: a boat can be judged to its meeting your needs by the number of bikinis shown in the picture of the boat. Many bikinis, forget it. Few bikinis, take a longer look. This is particularly apt if you live in the Pacific North West as I do. It can get a mite cold up here on the water even in the summer. But let me tell you a story.

Elly and I were out fishing and it was one of those warm days. It got hotter and I got down to shorts and Elly got down to a swim suit. I don't know about you but a woman in a swim suit holding a mooching rod and running a downrigger is sexy. Things went from that point to where you know it could go: both her and I starkers. We were having a great old time and I looked up to find ourselves surrounded by many boats. I hightailed it outta there. That night, we entered the lodge at where we were staying and the entire dining room stood up and applauded.

You know, I just love salmon fishing.

MichaelR

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement