Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
When hitting into the wind, does the average golfer tend to slice, or hook? (I am looking into buying a house on a golf course that sits about 50-75 yards to the left of a green. On most days, I figure the approach shot will be a long iron directly into a stiff Texas breeze. House looks good, but I want to make sure players won't be chipping from my back yard.)

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
kh;

The average golfer will generally fade (or slice) the ball, especially so, when hitting into a wind. Wind tends to magnify any swing error and make matters worse than with no wind or a following wind.

In my opinion, the more accomplished golfers, maybe 10% of those who play the game, tend to draw (or hook) the ball, and even those will intentionally fade into the green in order to maintain more control over the shot and be able to stop it in the area where the pin is located.

If your prospective house purchase is left of the green (from the golfers approach), I'd say you're in pretty good shape. <grin>

Hope this helps.

Sam
Put up a fence. Most golfers won't hit out of your yard, but they will walk into the yard to retrieve their balls if you don't have a fence. You might also consider a plexiglass cover over any windows that face the direction of the wayward shots. I've had to replace a window of a house that I broke. But if you're not at home I doubt the offending golfer is going to hang around.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk
saml and DrJHawk,

Thank you for your replies.

In my haste, I posted the wrong wind direction! On most days, it will be a following wind, not into the wind, on the approach shot. From saml's post, I presume a following wind would result in an average golfer (who tends to slice or fade) hitting a pretty straight ball. However, the following wind would make matters worse if the player consistently hooks the ball.

Unfortunately, the homeowner's association requires that the fence (iron) be no taller than 4 feet.

One thing that should help is the "stadium seating" design around the greens, although I suppose a duffer who is way left on the approach shot could hit the sideslope and roll into my yard (which sits to the left of the green on the golfer's approach).
KH,

Unfortunately, the homeowner's association requires that the fence (iron) be no taller than 4 feet.

If your fence is only 2 ft. high or just a short hedge, I would say that 95% of the golfers out there will not cross or step over it to retrieve a ball. They may reach in with a club or ball retriever and they should never hit out of your yard, fence or no.

My guess is that with a following wind, your less than avg. golfers not knowing their distances, wind effect, etc. will often tend to overshoot their target. Gusting winds will even fool the better golfers. With the 50 yds or better from edge of green and not in line with fairway (guessing again) you should be relatively safe.

HaveaGreatDay, L2J
No. of Recommendations: 1
kh,

I would definitely go with some sort of fence...some of the courses I play on around here have OB stakes along the yard lines of those houses that surround the playing area. I have found that most of the residents don't have an issue with you retrieving your ball from their yard then taking it back onto a playable area of the course. And while most folks are smart enough to not play out of people's yards, there are some who are not...the fence should take care of that.

A lot of it will depend on the clientele of the course. If it is a upscale course, most people won't play out of your yard, but there will always be one or two offenders. If you are opposed to the fence, you could start out without one, then if it becomes an issue, then install one...

Or you could do like the owners of one house on a course that I occasionally play at...put a big, mean looking dog on a tether in your yard...I notice that yard always has balls in the back yard. :-) :-) :-)

Brian
L2J and BBQBoy, I appreciate the comments.

The golf pro in the clubhouse told me today he had heard of no problems, even let me take a cart out for a closer look at the hole. I think I'll be in good shape. One thing I hadn't noticed before is that the home is situated quite a bit above the green elevation-wise, which should give me more protection.

Looks like the biggest threat (if there is one at all) is from an occasional ball rolling into the back yard (as opposed to a ball hitting a window on the fly). I agree that an iron fence will take care of the "rolling ball" problem, as most players won't go to the trouble of playing it or even retrieving it.

As for the problem of a ball hitting a window on the fly, I think I'm in a good shape. If it turns out to be a problem later, I guess I'll deal with it by planting a tree in front of the windows for protection or installing plexiglass window covers.

Looks like I'm all out of excuses as far as buying the home goes <grin>.

Thanks again to all for the replies.

kh
Looks like the biggest threat (if there is one at all) is from an occasional ball rolling into the back yard

Seems like this could be an advantage... you may never have to buy another golf ball in your life.
Seems like this could be an advantage... you may never have to buy another golf ball in your life.

New billboard to be installed in back yard: "Used golf balls for sale, only $100. Help me pay off my mortgage."
kh:

I suggest putting up a small sign at the 200 yard mark: Handicap 20 and above "lay-up!". :O) Frankly, I'd be tempeted to go for it and ending up 50 yards to the left is a possibility I'd rather not talk about. BTW most golf courses I know of that have bungalows near the fairways put an OB line along that row. That should stop anyone playing off the back lawn.

At some locations where there is a danger of the tee off shot breaking windows I see the house owners putting up these hideous 30ft high wire mesh screens. I've always wondered why anyone would spend a million $ on a house where you have to sit behind "bars".

libra

Don't use a lot of glass on that side of the house.
Postscript to this thread:

Today was to be the day I looked over the house on the golf course one final time before signing a contract.

Most of the day went well. Measurements were taken of each room to make sure the space was a good fit for me. (It was.) I spent time observing the traffic flow on the street that runs along one side of the house to ensure that noise wouldn't be a big problem. (Not a big problem. I could live it.) I walked the hole again, to see if other homeowners had found it necessary to take precautions against errant golf shots by putting up protective screens or tall fences in their backyards. (No problems there either.)

I inspected the outside of the house, around the foundation, to make sure that a problem with water drainage could be corrected. (It could.) But while I was in the front yard I noticed, you guessed it, a golf ball. In the FRONT yard! I have a hard time seeing how a shot could end up there. Maybe some player taking out his frustration and hitting a long one and the wind caught it. Or maybe the couple next door planted it there, hoping to scare me and other prospective buyers away. In any case, I'm not going to spend time trying to figure out how the ball got there. I've decided not to sign the contract.

I guess it wasn't meant to be. My search for a new home continues.

kh

No. of Recommendations: 2
kh--

Man-- you are one hard guy to please.

Everything works but one golf ball in the yard!

Most golfers would die to own that house. I have the impression you are not a golfer. If this is true, you are probably shopping in the wrong area anyway.

Good luck to you in your search.

Sam
a golf ball. In the FRONT yard! I have a hard time seeing how a shot could end up there. Maybe some player taking out his frustration and hitting a long one and the wind caught it.

Or it feel out of the owner's bag. Or his kids played with it.. or .... forget it. The truth is that if you looked around my yard long enough you'd find a few golf balls and I don't live within two miles of a golf course.

Mike
kh:

Fess up. You picked up that ball. :O)

libra
No. of Recommendations: 1
Okay, I've tried to live with it, but the guilt is getting to me and I have to confess-- I put the ball there. I want that house!
Advertisement