Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: robot One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8937  
Subject: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/2/2002 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good day from a Texas golfer who is ever learning and re-learning and then trying to learn some more about this wonderful game.

ONE of my current problems is hitting thin and or hitting with no divits on my irons, be they long or wedge shots. I have looked for a remidy using the above search block and on Golf-On-Line. Since I have not been sucessfull I thought I'd ask here.

...robot
Print the post Back To Top
Author: brefong One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1224 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/3/2002 3:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not an expert but I do have a couple of suggestions.

First, try moving the ball back in your stance. Having the ball too far forward in your stance usually leads to thin and topped shots.

If that doesn't work, try being more active with your right arm on the downswing. Have the feeling of pulling down the club with the right arm on the downswing. This will usually lead to the club bottoming out earlier. Incidentally, I belive that the opposite holds true as well. If you find that you are hitting shots fat (and ball position is not a factor) I try to be more passive with my right and more active with my left arm on the downswing.

I hope this helps.

Brendan

Author: SEA99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1230 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/10/2002 9:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Robot wrote:

ONE of my current problems is hitting thin and or hitting with no divits on my irons, be they long or wedge shots.

These are the symptoms of swinging too fast and/or looking up.

Try this as an experiment: hold your club lightly btween thumb and two fingers in each hand. You'll will be surpised how far you can hit that way, proving that there is no need to swing fast. So, slow down. Afterall most of us are not the John Daly type.

Funny that we all want to see our ball fly away. Rest assured if you hit straight you will find your ball on the fairway or green. If not, your playing partners will be only too happy to point out that you are in trouble.

A friend who is nearly a scratch golfer told me he overcame "looking up" by taking his right shirt collar between his teeth. (not recommended for golfers with dentures).

libra

Author: Zordac Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1231 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/11/2002 12:24 AM
Recommendations: 3
A friend who is nearly a scratch golfer told me he overcame "looking up" by taking his right shirt collar between his teeth. (not recommended for golfers with dentures).

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I believe this is one of those misconceptions that leads to all sorts of trouble. In fact, you have to look up to have a proper follow-through. The trick is to look up at the right time-- not too early, but rather only when the turn of your body requires that you look up (forward). Watch the pros-- they always end their shots with a complete follow through (usually held for several seconds) and their heads looking forward.

Do a google search for "Tiger Woods" photos and you'll see what I mean.

Author: SEA99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1233 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/11/2002 4:41 AM
Zordac wrote:

The trick is to look up at the right time

Agreed and as you say a proper follow-through will take care of that. However, nine times out of ten if someone tops the ball or hits thin it's because they are looking up too early (or as I also wrote trying to hit too hard).

Hmmm..Tiger Woods. Well he's about 25 years younger than I am and seems to have carbon fibre spine. I'll pass on trying to emulate him. :O)

Now I have a question: Any good tips on getting out of a green-side bunker when the sand is hard after it's been raining overnight? I have tried using a wedge or even a 9-iron with mixed results.

libra

Author: BBQBoy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1234 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/11/2002 8:31 AM
Recommendations: 1
Now I have a question: Any good tips on getting out of a green-side bunker when the sand is hard after it's been raining overnight? I have tried using a wedge or even a 9-iron with mixed results.

When a bunker is dry and the sand is fluffy, you generally want to hit a bit behind the ball...this is the standard stuff you will see during golf tournament coverage on TV and in golfing magazines.

When the sand is shallow, coarse, or wet, you will want to hit closer to the ball...the reason is that the dry sand will explode the ball out of the trap, the wet sand will not do this as it is compacted, wet and more dense. So, hit a little closer to the ball and don't dig as deeply into the sand. You will also want to take a little speed off the club as you will not be moving as much sand, which would reduce the amount of power transferred to the ball...

And don't forget to follow through, that seems to be the most common error I see in sand play...

Hope this helps,

Brian

Author: robot One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1235 of 8937
Subject: Re: Hitting thin or with no divits Date: 2/11/2002 10:47 AM
I thank you all for your responses.

As the weather down here near Dallas looks reasonably well I shall continue with my off-season golf adventures. Yesterday consisted of a visit to nearby vacant jr. high football field with three wedges. I am attempting to put into practice the ideas of Dave Pelz from his short game bible. I have found that hitting from between and underneath one goal post toward the other is an excellent way of getting good yardage lengths established.

For those who have not found Mr. Pelz and his short game book, he urges one to go through a series of measuring your distances with four wedges hit from a 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30 swing amounts. As I only have three wedges in my bag I have modified the suggestion accordingly. Practicing on the football field with about 25 balls per wedge, per swing amount is beginning to show results. Hopefully with about ten more sessions and the start of spring golf (early March) I will have firmed up my distances with a degree of accuracy and will be able to see what this work has done for my score.

...robot

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement