Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30800  
Subject: Hiya! Date: 12/4/2002 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
New to this board, but not to the Fool.

Just thought I'd start out with a friendly "hi", and a little background

I am 5'4", and am hovering at 139 pounds right now. USED to be underweight, and eat lots of carbs in an effort to gain weight, but thanks to Quinten (born August 28), getting weight on is no longer the problem, taking it off is.

So, intuition points to the obvious: If I was using carbs to gain weight, I have to stop using a lot of them to lose weight.

My "impolite's version of a low-carb diet" is as follows: meats, veggies and fruits are freebies, and I allow myself four servings of carb carbs a day. So far, I am losing a pound a week, a nice healthy loss. What carbs I do eat are "good" ones: whole grain version of things like bagels, tortillas, etc. I avoid rice cause I love it so much.

One of the things I've noticed so far is how my appetite has diminished...I'm not near as hungry as I was before.

My major concern so far: the fat content of my diet. I panic everytime I see it. I know, I know, you need the fat in a high protein diet to help with the consumption of so much protein, but still, it freaks me out. How did you fools get over this high fat thing?

impolite
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BostonKate Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3472 of 30800
Subject: Re: Hiya! Date: 12/4/2002 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How did you fools get over this high fat thing?

Fat is yummy. :-)

Actually, I'm eating less fat now than I was when I was eating carbs. We would go through a pound of butter a week (easy - sometimes 1.5) because I baked fresh bread every day. We ate buttery sauces, roux-based gravies, fat-rich cakes and cookies, lard pie crust, you name it. The problem was that the fat was often "hidden" - yeah, we knew it was there, but except for the drizzled olive oil and the butter, it was all incorporated into something else. Of course, we were good little doobies and drank skim milk.

With LC, there's no real getting around the fact that the fat is right there. Far from the days of my butterhounding, it has taken me 6 months to get through a STICK of butter since I only use a bit to finish sautee'd zucchini or other LC veggies. We buy small quantities of very high quality fats now (imported butter, the heartstoppingly expensive olive oils, specialty oils, etc). Most of our fat intake comes from nuts, cream, and cheeses - all eaten relatively sparingly.

Author: fietser Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3476 of 30800
Subject: Re: Hiya! Date: 12/4/2002 12:11 PM
How did you fools get over this high fat thing?

By reading, reading and more reading...partially this board
And above all, experiencing an amphetamin-like high on my own very-low carb ketogenic diet.. which I just upped to about 50 g carbs/long WO, 25 g carbs/short WO plus 20 g carbs/day.

I must say that I still tend to eat too little fat.. all those years of being scared of carbs (didn't use butter, very little oil and no mayo, but freaked out on ice-cream and crisps!).

You gotta try it first..

BTw, I think you can go on maintenance diet.. 100 g of carbs /day sounds like the ticket for you (even without exercise) and you'll still lose weight. Let it be healthy carbs just like you said! Oh, but do eat at least 150 g of protein/day, you need it..
Better to ramp up exercise and eat more frequently than eat less.. I was undereating but bingeing too frequently (almost every other day) so fat piled on..... and on... and on....

Fietser

Author: HoneyRyder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3477 of 30800
Subject: Re: Hiya! Date: 12/4/2002 1:43 PM

I had the same problem. My advice is to go gradual on it.

My first reaction was " wow! I can eat real cheese again!"

My second reaction was " oh! my stomach is churning and this stuff is making me retch"

Since I'd been eating lowfat for so many years, my palate couldn't accomodate the sudden shift.

Like Kate, I just enjoy the good stuff in limited quantities.

When reviewing low carb recipes, I eliminate the ones that I know will make me queasy.

HR

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3484 of 30800
Subject: Re: Hiya! Date: 12/4/2002 7:25 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hi Impolite,

Glad you made it over here.

Congratulations on Quinten. Your 1 lb a week loss is probably as much as I would go if you are still breast feeding him. No more than 2 per week at the most.

My understanding is that going into ketosis is a big no-no if you are nursing a child. Losing too much fat too quickly can release fat soluble toxins into your breast milk. Of course, my youngest is 5 so there may have been more recent studies out there contradicting this info.

As far as the fat goes, je suis francaise. Gotta have that cheese.

InParadise

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3493 of 30800
Subject: Re: Hiya! Date: 12/5/2002 10:39 AM
My understanding is that going into ketosis is a big no-no if you are nursing a child. Losing too much fat too quickly can release fat soluble toxins into your breast milk. Of course, my youngest is 5 so there may have been more recent studies out there contradicting this

Stopped nursing after three weeks: I wasn't producing enough to even supplement well, so we stopped. I wish I still was, or had done it longer, but maybe next time will go better. I was the first female in my family as far back as we know to even PROCUCE milk, so being able to BF for three weeks was a major victory.

Congratulations on Quinten. Your 1 lb a week loss is probably as much as I would go if you are still breast feeding him. No more than 2 per week at the most.

Even though I am not BF anymore, I can't lose two pounds a week without totally draining myself: I tried it, and I can do it, but I end up weak, tired and with headaches. 1 pound a week gets me to my goal (120) in April, or 8 months after Q's birth. Plus, it'll give me two extra months to find that perfect bikini before summer starts. :)

impolite
she of serious priorities

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement