UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: More on 2015 Budget's Negative Impact Date: 3/20/2014 12:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Thing is, all of it doesn't come out taxed at 39%. All the money below the top bracket is getting taxed at lower marginal rates. Not sure if that pencils out or not. Perhaps for extremely high withdrawals.

Yes, one has to assume that they will have the same income (top tax bracket) in retirement as they had while they work.

If that correct, then the last dollar one puts into their 401k would receive a 28% tax reduction and the last dollar one pulls out of their 401k in retirement would be taxed at 39%.

I can get on board with reducing the tax benefits of retirement contributions for those with high incomes but those individuals should then get favorable tax treatment on the income when they pull it out during retirement. Income taxes on such withdrawals should receive the same 28% tax cap.

I think your example would apply at most to a very tiny number of people.

Agreed, but the same could be said of the economic burden - it would also apply to a small number of people. As a matter of policy, I believe it is a bad idea to unfairly target and tax a small segment of our population when there are other ways to accomplish whatever the goal might actually be. In this case, it would appear the goal is to increase the tax burden on higher incomes. Penalizing their savings seems to be the wrong way to do such.

Someone who has an SWR of over $400,000/year in retirement

That would be for an individual but that amount does not include pension and SS moneys.

I think the more likely scenario would be for couples with dual pensions since the 39% bracket starts at $457k.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement