Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hmmm... I was very diligent in reading the instructions to the 1040 and 1040NR forms. I didn't see any reference to form 8891. Well, I know now so I'll submit that one next year.

Say, Spiffy, I got another question: I'm about to transfer my pension to a locked-in RRSP at CIBC and there is an excess amount I can't transfer and this excess exceeds my RRSP contribution room, so I have to take this excess as cash. Of course they will subtract the tax. I'm a U.S. resident now. This cash should be reported on my Canadian income tax, so I can recover the withheld tax, right? And there is a spot on the 1040NR, I recall (specifically, page 5, section L) where this can be reported to the IRS.

But for this, or any other income, its either taxed by Revenue Canada or by the IRS, but not both?!? Surely it is not double-taxed?

Any tips on the pension transfer is appreciated.

Have a great 4th of July!
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.