UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: NByz One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1933  
Subject: Re: Posco Steel (PKX) Date: 3/7/2006 12:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hmmm. Well the most important thing to Posco has to be steel prices. It looks like they have products accross almost all of the commoditized steel sub-markets. It would be interesting to examine what percentage of their revenue comes from each, but, on first glance, it looks like it's pretty well balanced. I guess it's reasonable to assume that it's profit margin depends directly the aggregate or average steel price.

Looks like ([1] and [2] below) average steel product prices hovered somewhat flatly between pretty tight 2002 and 2003 averages. For example, "Hot Rolled Coil" stayed within the $250 to $350 range between the start of 2002 and the end of 2003. 2004 brought sharp increase in prices across the board, the above-mentioned "Hot Rolled Coil" hitting it's peak above $750. By mid 2005 the market had given back over half of those gains as production caught up with demand, and things have been pretty stable since then.

It was the explosive growth in China that resulted in the big 2004 gain. I remember a lot of talk about the Chinese Government subsidizing and in other way encouraging growth in capacity for Chinese production. I can't find a good source on that though, and I don't have time to do too much research on that right now. Either way, China now produces over %20 of global steel output and it looks like global production/consumption has (one way or another) re-settled on it's most efficient price. I don't think the south korean government is going to do anything to encourage expansion of steel production. They don't have china's low labour costs, and have already made their bet on high-tech.

I think we can expect China to continue to produce enough steel to keep prices low enough to support it's industrialization (which is the big story on these sorts of commodities). I was just reading a couple of days ago about a big government project in India to make use of labour in some undeveloped areas, supplying it's needs going forward. Knowing that this company is a bet on steel prices, there is some limited upside but not a lot of downside in that regard.

'05 earnings have been weaker than '04 (of course), but seem like a reasonable indicator of what's to come if steel prices remain stable.

Reading about this company has taken me back and forth a bit, but I think - on the output side at least - there is enough to justify a higher P/E than it has, even with the recent run-up in price.

Does anyone want to take a look at the input/expense side? I know that many South Korean companies are taking advantage of North Korean labour through 'free-trade zones' along the border? And I have no idea what to expect by looking at iron ore and energy. Might be fun to compare that operating environment with some other countries.

[1] https://www.citigroupgeo.com/pdf/SBD70777.pdf
Citigroup report detailing steel prices

[2] http://www.meps.co.uk/World%20Carbon%20Price.htm
Company that sells information about the steel market
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement