No. of Recommendations: 11
Charlie Munger often repeats the old adage, "Show me where I'm going to die so I won't go there." His point, of course, is he feels articulating how not to do something is invaluable. He often credits all of his gains to merely not being stupid.

Today, Helios & Matheson (HMNY), owner of MoviePass is down another 30% - it feels like a mathematical marvel that a stock can have so many blood-curdling drops. This stock is down something like 98% in the past few months. It has over 3,000,000 subscribers, and LOSES money on every one of them. Their scheme is to somehow one day monetize all these subscribers, who gorge themselves on movies at HMNY's expense. So, while the owners of HMNY pay themselves fortunes, shareholders have been obliterated.

The point here is I don't think there's a person in all of Fooldom more relentlessly focused on money - accelerating earnings, expanding margins, ability to protect the profits - than Saul. I see very little talk of leadership and a very small amount of talk about product quality, competition. And nothing about pie-in-the-sky fortunes to come. The money flooding through the door is what matters here. Period. At least that's how I see it.

HMNY offers a great lesson in what happens to companies that lose money. In fact, it's hard to dream up a better example of what this board doesn't do. It was over $20 in October. It's now worth around $0.30 per share.

BD,
who is trying to find the time to conduct his first Saulinian Analysis of Stitch Fix (SFIX), up 30% since killing it on earnings. I offer this half-arsed pitch to add some value to the board with a growth stock idea, or thoughts on one, in every post. I think SFIX is going to be a monster home run. My analysis is based on on leadership, business model, product quality and the insane-raves I've seen from some ladies in my life, "It's like Christmas every month" declared one.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement