UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/29/2005 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What are your hobbies in retirement and how do you keep expenses down?

My greatest hobby is dancing. Since I do not have a dance partner, I find myself spending a lot on private lessons.

I intend to decrease this cost. I intend to go to group lessons. Video tapes are pretting good. I have found 2 people who are willing to work with me in my home using the videos. This should save on private lessons.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: solarae One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 874 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/29/2005 12:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Have you thought of Contra dancing? The local folklife society here sponsors these group dances. It's like square dancing sort of. I can't say much since I don't dance but it sounds like it would be fun for you. My hobbie is surfing. Started when I was 40. Steep learning curve but really good for you. I've actually gotten pretty good at it in 7 years.
Have fun, Edy

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 875 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/29/2005 3:53 PM
What are your hobbies in retirement and how do you keep expenses down?

Two activities I am involved in during retirement are golf and amateur radio.

I volunteer as a marshal at a local course one afternoon a week and get free golf and cart as often as I want.

I made a decision to run low power on my amateur radio activities so my equipment is modest (i.e. : no amplifier or stacked yagis on 120 foot Rhon towers).

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 876 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/30/2005 3:53 AM
Edy,

At what age did you start surfing? Is it hard to learn? And how did you learn? What part of the country are you in?

Author: solarae One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/30/2005 12:31 PM
>At what age did you start surfing? Is it hard to learn? And how did you learn? What part of the country are you in?

I started at 40. It's very hard to learn. You have to be able to do lots of pushups. Fortunately, I have always had a lot of upper body strength. I learned by just getting out there and taking the advice of others. There is a good site called surfbetter.com . I took some lessons in Mexico which helped some but there is no substitute for getting out in the water almost every day. You really have to be comitted. I live about 100 miles south of the Oregon border on the coast of California. Thank goodness, wetsuit technology is so advanced now. Learn on a longboard. You'll probably never ride a shortboard.
Good Luck, Edy

Author: ajs15 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 878 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/30/2005 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
I am fortunate that my favorite hobby is playing music. I perform acoutic music solo and as part of a duo. in addition to the sheer joy I get out oif it, it enables DW and I to go out frequently, play and stay in some of the state's nicest resort areas, and actuually make some cash while doing it.

-AJ

Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 879 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 9/30/2005 11:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
Learn on a longboard. You'll probably never ride a shortboard.
Good Luck, Edy

I think I'll stick with dancing.

Author: gregpickett Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 887 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 10/16/2005 4:27 PM
solarae
Are you saying the longboards are easier to learn on?

Surfing is a hobby i will definitly be taking up before my time is thru, thanx for any tips...

Author: solarae One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 888 of 1491
Subject: Re: Hobbies in retirement Date: 10/27/2005 7:51 PM
Longboards are way easier to learn on. They float and plane. Shortboards must be launched into much punchier waves. Watch the video "Surf for Life". Great video for even non-surfers. None of the older folks are on shortboards. Shortboarding these days is more like skateboarding. Longboards are more flowing and graceful if not boring for some folks. Learning to surf is not easy but if you are fit and determined, you can do it. It is very much a "learn by doing" thing and you must put a lot of time into it.
Good Luck, Solarae

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement