Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: catdaddy1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39817  
Subject: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 10:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
OK, I admit that I'm obsessed.

I woke up this morning out of a great dream.

The Blues called me up to play forward for them and I ended up getting an assist on the game winning goal. I lost a tooth while I was at it, but it was sooooo worth it.

Now if only I could skate worth a crap, that dream could have been possible...

cd
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HockeyPhool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Now if only I could skate worth a crap, that dream could have been possible...

Hey, it is possible (well, maybe not the NHL part). But around here you don't have to skate very well at all to play in Beginners' leagues. And it is an absolute blast to play!

HockeyPhool

Author: nikirae14 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 11:34 AM
I have dreams like that all the time. Lots of fun with hockey players.

I've found that with my inability to skate though, indoor soccer is good for me. I like co-ed because you get to bump people a little more. I think people don't like playing against me so much after I've been watching hockey, can't imagine why.

Love digging the puck (er, ball) out of corners, screening the goalie off of the shot, hard forechecking. My best friend and hockey buddy is on my team, so we have a lot of fun.

Niki

Author: catdaddy1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 11:51 AM
HPhool,

But around here you don't have to skate very well at all to play in Beginners' leagues.

Where is that?

I'm planning on calling a rink in Fairfax, Va. to see about skating lessons soon. Once I get to the point where I can stay up on my own, I'd like to challenge my balance with some good checking...

cd

Author: catdaddy1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 11:53 AM
indoor soccer is good for me.

I loved playing indoor soccer. I haven't played in 15 years, but I remember it being a lot of fun except when I played goalkeeper and took a hard shot near the post that smashed my fingers. Ouch!

cd

Author: HockeyPhool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 109 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 12:13 PM
Where is that?

I live near Denver, CO.

I'm planning on calling a rink in Fairfax, Va. to see about skating lessons soon.

Hey, I'm an ex-Virginian myself - I used to live in Alexandria (and was actually born there - but that's another story). But I didn't skate when I lived there, so I can't point you anywhere in particular.

I highly recommend the lessons. I started out skating with my daughters, and could get around well enough. I was just starting to learn how to skate backward a bit, and do a cross-over in one direction when I took an adult group lesson. It helped a great deal. Not too long after that, I took a beginner's hockey clinic with a friend, and got on a team after the clinic ended.

Taking the lessons and attending public skating sessions might be a good way to find some contacts who know something about recreational hockey in the area. I'm lucky enough to work at a company with a large number of hockey players, so I get to practice with them regularly.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me or post here.

HockeyPhool
aka Scott

Author: nikirae14 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 110 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 12:13 PM
I remember it being a lot of fun except when I played goalkeeper and took a hard shot near the post that smashed my fingers.

Yikes. I took one of those once, guess about two years ago. Ended up with my finger broken and dislocated at one joint, and dislocated at the other. I don't play goalie much anymore, which is fine, because it's a co-ed league, and with the special rules, they usually need the women on the field.

Niki

Author: nikirae14 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 111 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 12:17 PM
I know my four year old (he'll be five in January) has announced he wants to be a Red Wing when he grows up. He's been watching hockey with me for a while now, and wants to learn to skate.

My older boy has (roller) skating parties with his school, and we've gone to those. Aaron has disdainfully referred to this on occasion as "fake skating."

Niki

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/11/2001 10:40 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hey, it is possible (well, maybe not the NHL part). But around here you don't have to skate very well at all to play in Beginners' leagues. And it is an absolute blast to play!

HockeyPhool

---------------------

<insert insulting remark about HockeyPhool's skating here>

CaveGirl
<laughing>

Author: HockeyPhool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 12:28 AM
<insert insulting remark about HockeyPhool's skating here>

What, now you're filling in for WizardPhool over here? I guess I prefer that to actually having him here.

Watch out, Cavey: when I get you on the ice, there will be pictures that will reveal all.

HockeyPhool

Author: LimShady Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 12:37 AM
What, now you're filling in for WizardPhool over here? I guess I prefer that to actually having him here.

Watch out, Cavey: when I get you on the ice, there will be pictures that will reveal all.

HockeyPhool

Ooh... do I sense a future Fool event in the works?

Chris

Author: HockeyPhool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 12:53 AM

Oh, yeah: nothing definite yet, but general agreement to have a FiCO Skate Party. I'll try to remember to announce any published pix over here.

HockeyPhool

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 11:25 AM

Oh you know that your skating rules...

I hope that you can aim down low... I'm going to be on my @ss on the ice for most of the time...

CaveGirl
<laughing>

p.s. I will wear purple, ya know...

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 11:26 AM

Chris

-----------------

We do Fool events all the time in the Colorado area... this could be a potential one, though...

CaveGirl
<has hosted a few, too>

Author: HockeyPhool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 118 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/12/2001 11:46 AM
p.s. I will wear purple, ya know...

room spinning... getting dizzy... better sit down...

Whew! Gotta remember to wear my bucket when you're around, Cavey!

HockeyPhool

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/13/2001 10:02 PM
Recommendations: 4
Cavey, can you skate?

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/14/2001 11:40 AM
Cavey, can you skate?

--------------

It's been a very long time... I think I remember how to skate...

CaveGirl

Author: Alex146 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/16/2001 1:19 PM
You haven't lived till you've played floor hockey in my living room. Luckly I haven't broken anything yet.

Author: CaveGirl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/16/2001 2:26 PM
You haven't lived till you've played floor hockey in my living room.

---------------

Now that sounds like fun!

CaveGirl

Author: pir21ate Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 133 of 39817
Subject: Re: Hockey Obsession Date: 12/22/2001 7:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
Yes Virginia - There really is a Hockey Fans Board.

WhodATHUNK?

pir21ate.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement