UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461159  
Subject: Re: Why the smart money is underperforming? Date: 10/14/2012 2:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Hohumm77, no actually sold it a while back (for a profit of about 25% if I remember correctly).

This is as good an example as any of how this group can help male money. I was reading the "coloring book" (USA Today) while away at a hotel one morning about a year ago and read two disconnected articles: The first said that the US had cut the tariff on Brazilian ethanol and thee other was about increasing the authorization of spiking out gasoline with ethanol (both arguably macro factoids). I posted a question on METAR, explaining why I was interested and asking for stock of Brazilian companies which exported ethanol. Hohum77 stepped up to the plate and suggested CZZ (Cosan). While I only had to trust the judgment of one other person (after a bit of DD, of course), I guess others would have to trust two people (myself for the idea and Hohumm for the suggested solution), but all the information was available here.

Similar discussions have taken place over the years (Wendy TIP's, my Australian currency thing, the late Sonny Page on Silver Weaton, the various gold bugs, Frank Martin's call of a market bottom and, yes, even Androcles's Apple whining) and provided ample opportunity for those who listen (and believe) to make money.

If everyone agreed on every idea, this group wouldn't provide the stimulus to thinking that healthy difference of opinion does. Andy's observation that everyone here is somehow negative in their opinions and somehow not able to make money in the stock market is not only wrong, but shows that he simply hasn't been paying attention :-)

Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement