UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883923  
Subject: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/3/2012 8:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
"Plastic bulb development promises better quality light"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20553143

Going in to manufacturing next year, these plastic bulbs:

- flexible
- about as efficient at LEDs
- no flicker
- color closer to sunlight
- long life
- "cheap"

What's not to like?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: nagdabbit Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869273 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/4/2012 6:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Interesting...

We've recently installed LED downlights, to replace some of our existing downlights. Love them. Depot and some energy rebate made them somewhat reasonable in price. They were the depot brand and very easy to install.

But still have other lights in fixtures that we haven't found a good solution for.

We still have some CFLs that still work, but if they went we wouldn't replace them with CFLs - the ones out there fail quickly - more bad stuff in the landfills.

nag

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869276 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/4/2012 10:18 AM
Recommendations: 8
We still have some CFLs that still work, but if they went we wouldn't replace them with CFLs - the ones out there fail quickly - more bad stuff in the landfills.

If they end up in landfills, it is because you have not chosen one of the recycling options available to you. For example, you can drop off your old CFLs for recycling at Home Depot where you bought your new LEDs.

PSU

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869280 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/4/2012 2:19 PM
But you are kind of in trouble if they break, aren't you? I read the instructions for cleaning up and it scared me off them for certain spots.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869281 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/4/2012 2:35 PM
Recommendations: 2
But you are kind of in trouble if they break, aren't you? I read the instructions for cleaning up and it scared me off them for certain spots.

No, it isn't much trouble. Don't listen to those stories where people call in hazmat teams that will cost $2000 for the cleanup. EPA has easy to follow instructions on their website.

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

Author: nagdabbit Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869292 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/5/2012 6:32 AM
Sorry, we do recycle...

What they do with it? We just kind of wonder...

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869293 of 883923
Subject: Re: Hold off on buying those LEDs.... Date: 12/5/2012 8:16 AM
I believe most Ace Hardware stores participate in a CFL recycling program, too. At least, the two closest to us do. Since Ace stores are generally locally owned franchises, the individual stores can choose not to participate.

We're past the 5 year mark on most of our CFLs, and we've been bringing in about one every other month to our local Ace.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement