UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: flitt Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 9/30/1998 7:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is the federal govt. going to offer tax breaks for holding stocks for 18months? What was decided on that?

Also, what are the income limits for various tax brackets and what are the percentages.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5761 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 9/30/1998 8:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
flitt writes (in part):

Is the federal govt. going to offer tax breaks for holding stocks for 18months? What was decided on that?

I reply:

The holding period necessary to claim long term capital gains treatment has been reduced from 18 months (and a day) to 12 months (and a day), retroactive to sales on or after January 1, 1998. You might want to search the Tax Strategies board for posts by TMFTaxes. He's very responsive (not that the posters here aren't!) and most of his posts contain links to very useful sites both within and without the Fool. Good luck! --Bob

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5763 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 10/1/1998 10:42 AM
Flitt asks:

Also, what are the income limits for various tax brackets and what are the percentages.

As part of the IRS Restructuring bill, Congress reduced the holding period for long term capital gains rates to 18 months and a day. If you are in a 15% marginal tax bracket, that means your long term capital gains rate will be 10%. For those in a marginal tax bracket of 28% or higher, the rate is 20%.

If your taxable income in 1998 as a single person is in the ranges shown, then your marginal income tax bracket is as indicated:

0 to 25,350………….15%
25,350+ to 61,400…..28%
61,400+ to 128,100…31%
128,100+ to 278,450..36%
278,450+………….39.6%

For joint filers, the numbers are:

0 to 42,350…………..15%
42,350+ to 102,300….28%
102,300+ to 155,950...31%
155,950+ to 278,450...36%
278,450+…………..39.6%

Regards….Pixy

Author: DownwardSpiral One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5766 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 10/1/1998 12:27 PM
Pixy said, in part:

<<As part of the IRS Restructuring bill, Congress reduced the holding period for long term capital gains rates to 18 months and a day. >>

Are you sure that you didn't mean 12 months & a day?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5767 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 10/1/1998 3:17 PM
DownwardSpiral caught Pixy when he said:

Pixy said, in part:

<<As part of the IRS Restructuring bill, Congress reduced the holding period for long term capital gains rates to 18 months and a day. >>

Are you sure that you didn't mean 12 months & a day?

And a great catch it was! Yes, I did mean 12 months and a day.

Obviously, my brain was disengaged from my fingers when I typed that bone-headed error. I'm glad you found it and are keeping me straight. Lord knows, someone has to before I run amok. :-)

Regards....Pixy

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5774 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 10/2/1998 4:05 AM
<< You might want to search the Tax Strategies board for posts by TMFTaxes. He's very responsive (not that the posters here aren't!) and most of his posts contain links to very useful sites both within and without the Fool. Good luck! --Bob>>

Or just repost the same question on the tax board as you did 53 minutes after the original post on this board....no point in waiting around.

Author: NewHouse One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5779 of 75335
Subject: Re: Hold Stocks for 18months? Date: 10/2/1998 3:30 PM
Pixy says:
>As part of the IRS Restructuring bill, Congress reduced the holding period for long term capital gains rates to 18 months and a day<

Isn't this 12 months and a day?

>If your taxable income in 1998 as a single person is in the ranges shown, then your marginal income tax bracket is as indicated:<

What is usually missed in the discussion of Long Term Capital Gains rates is that the IRS uses a very complicated work sheet to determine your taxes.

The result of this work sheet is that your marginal income tax bracket is determined by adding your capital gain to your other income. So if your normal taxable income plus your capital gain income puts you in the 28% bracket, you will effectively pay 20% capital gains.

You actually pay 28 % on a reduced dollar amount.

Is this clear as mud? I think that's the way our politicians wanted it.

Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement