Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: malakito Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123477  
Subject: holding period for cash in lieu of fract'l shrs Date: 1/4/2001 11:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

My employer's stock had a spin-off in 2000. I received a number of shares of the new company as well as a check for the fractional shares.

I know I need to report this income on Schedule D.

How would I determine whether or not this is short-term or long-term?

Most of the stock that I owned was in my company's stock purchase plan, which I have been purchasing quarterly for several years. Do I need to split the gain into two components; one for the portion of the cash-in-lieu corresponding to shares that I had purchased in the year prior to the spinoff and one for the shares prior to a year?

Can I just simplify all of this and report it as a short-term gain with a zero basis? I wouldn't think the IRS would object to this approach as I am guaranteed in this case to pay at least as much tax as I actually owe. We're only talking about $80 in net proceeds here, so it's not that big of a deal.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.