UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308238  
Subject: Holiday Job Date: 11/20/2000 2:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
It's remarkably easy ... I just got a job at the bookstore wrapping gifts for the holidays. This is gonna be fun ...

t.

whittling those bills away
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lalcorn Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49764 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/20/2000 4:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's remarkably easy ... I just got a job at the bookstore wrapping gifts for the holidays. This is gonna be fun ...

Oooh! What fun! Do you get a discount, too?

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49775 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/20/2000 8:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
Do you get a discount, too?

Yep! 35% on most things, 20% on text books.

Not that I'll be using my discount much (c: I'm socking those pennies towards my debt.

Hugs!
t.

the library is my best friend

Author: lekia2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49811 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/21/2000 1:03 PM
Ah, the 35% discount, there's nothing like it.

lekia2, who's wishing her full-time job didn't take up so much of her time. (or else she'd have a part-time gig, too!!!!)

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49812 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/21/2000 1:08 PM
It'll be interesting. I'll probably use it mostly for friends and family who want books.

I finally figured out what I'm going to do for Christmas gifts ... I wanted to be able to do a little something.

Hugs!
t.

P.S. Congrats on the star! It looks good on you (c: I am sort of surprised that I'm working up to my third. Yipes!

Hugs again

Author: lalcorn Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49849 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/21/2000 7:02 PM
the library is my best friend

LOL, well I'm glad to hear it...cuz I'm a librarian, as it happens :o)

Wanna hear sumfin funny? Bookstores don't want to hire librarians for part time work, despite the fact we're some of their best customers (yes, we buy the darn things, too--gotta feed the addiction). they think we're gonna send everybody packing to the local library. I try to tell them I understand the profit motive, but they don't want to hear it :-)

-louise

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49860 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/21/2000 8:32 PM
Recommendations: 1
LOL, well I'm glad to hear it...cuz I'm a librarian, as it happens :o)

Wanna hear sumfin funny? Bookstores don't want to hire librarians for part time work, despite the fact we're some of their best customers (yes, we buy the darn things, too--gotta feed the addiction). they think we're gonna send everybody packing to the local library. I try to tell them I understand the profit motive, but they don't want to hear it :-)

Hi Louise!

I heard a very interesting report on the news the other day. It seems that online bookstores, and online books for that matter are posing no threat whatsoever to libraries. Libraries are thriving, and people are Foolish enough to be using them. Woohoo!

Also, the Library of Congress is working on a new service which will be free that provides research answers to people over the internet. Because there is so much untrustworthy information in cyberspace, and the Library of Congress is considered the number one resource as far as reliability, they'll be providing a much needed service to the public.

Librarians rock! ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: lalcorn Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49906 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/22/2000 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hi Louise!

I heard a very interesting report on the news the other day. It seems that online bookstores, and online books for that matter are posing no threat whatsoever to libraries. Libraries are thriving, and people are Foolish enough to be using them. Woohoo!

Indeed, I've been saying that for a while. Our use statistics just keep going up and up and up. I'll give this to the cappucino bookstores, they've got people *enjoying reading* again, which is only to all our benefits. And I know our local Borders and B&N stores are good about saying "well, that's out of print, but the library could probably help you find a copy to look at", etc. I figure it helps both of us...they have better coffee, though :-)

Also, the Library of Congress is working on a new service which will be free that provides research answers to people over the internet. Because there is so much untrustworthy information in cyberspace, and the Library of Congress is considered the number one resource as far as reliability, they'll be providing a much needed service to the public.

This is actually already available on a smaller scale from several services, including The Internet Public Library, a service of the Univ of Michigan School of Information. Staffed by librarians and library Master's candidates, its been going for a while now, and is a lovely service: http://www.ipl.org/ look under Reference--Ask a Reference Question.

Also, don't be surprised if your local library has such a service already. It's a growing thing now. We spend all day answering reference questions using the Net, and we like to share our knowledge.

Librarians rock! ;)

Thank you, Tony :o) You might enjoy http://www.teleport.com/~petlin/liplib/

Happy Turkey Day!

-louise, the library goddess

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49944 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/22/2000 4:40 PM
You might enjoy http://www.teleport.com/~petlin/liplib/

Okay Louise, which title do you prefer:

The Lipstick Librarian or The Library Goddess?

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: lalcorn Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50194 of 308238
Subject: Re: Holiday Job Date: 11/28/2000 10:23 AM
You might enjoy http://www.teleport.com/~petlin/liplib/

Okay Louise, which title do you prefer:

The Lipstick Librarian or The Library Goddess?

;-)

Tony

Well, Tony, at the moment I'm more of a Chapstick Librarian (oh, I love winter!), but I think I prefer Web and/or Library Goddess :-)

-louise

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement