Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Holidays Date: 5/29/2006 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Today is Memorial Day. While I have nothing against honoring our fallen warriors, holidays in general have become a nuisance. To wit: We like to walk at the Ocean Front area at the tip of Palos Verdes Peninsula. Today we couldn't park at our usual place because there were so many others there. Normally only one or two places will be taken, leaving a dozen or so. So we had to park down the street.

I noticed a tire was low, so I drove around, trying to get it repaired. No luck. The repair places were all closed. So I got a fresh charge of air (to 35 psi - it was less than 10), and I will get it repaired tomorrow. And that's another thing. The stations all have machines which want 50¢ for air. What ever happened to free air?

Do other new (or not-so-new) retirees find holidays are a nuisance? I brag to my clarinet instructor that, to me, all days are the same, but I prefer not to have Friday evening lessons, as we like to go to a restaurant on Fridays. Maybe I should rethink Fridays. Whay not go out on Thursday?

I must be getting to be an old grouch, if this is all I have to complain about.

cliff
... grumpy today
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10618 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/29/2006 8:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do other new (or not-so-new) retirees find holidays are a nuisance?

I tend to forget they're happening, except that I almost get a hernia trying to pick up the Sunday paper off the stoop for all the inserts.

Oddly enough, what I find myself the most annoyed by is snow days, which in the DC area is any day between November and March when it's 40 degrees and cloudy. I sit here thinking "those lazy s.o.b's should be at work!"

Phil

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10619 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/29/2006 9:03 PM
Whay not go out on Thursday?

Why not? It's probably less crowded. I find Monday to be least crowded in the restaurants and in the stores.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10620 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/29/2006 9:04 PM
ummmm...excepting Monday holidays obviously

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10621 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/30/2006 12:27 AM
I find Monday to be least crowded in the restaurants

I was recently reminded that in the Chicago area many restaurants are closed on Monday. A friend and I kept going through the list of places we wanted to go, finding all of them closed.

Topeka's most popular after-church restaurant, the Crutch and Cane, is also closed on Mondays.

Phil

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10622 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/30/2006 11:47 AM
cliff666: <I must be getting to be an old grouch, if this is all I have to complain about.

cliff
... grumpy today ...
>

Yeah, sure!

Grumpy
every day

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10623 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/30/2006 12:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
Do other new (or not-so-new) retirees find holidays are a nuisance?

Hi Cliff. Yes I do. You can also add Saturdays and Sundays to that list. All the nutso folks are out in abundance. Can't even drive to the grocery store without it seeming like rush hour traffic. Oh, yea, since retirement I do not play golf on Saturday, Sunday or Holidays. Way, way too crowded.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10624 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 5/30/2006 4:40 PM
My mother always liked crowds -- We always drove to the main Post Office (Washington, DC) where, on the evening of 4/15, postmen stood in the street with their leather mail pouches (remember those?) and took your tax return as you slowed down.

We always shopped the day after Thanksgiving. We went grocery shopping on Saturday. We went to the beach on summer holiday weekends. We went to dinner on Sunday afternoons.

You get the idea.

After she retired she continued to do things during the busiest hours. When I visited and tried to get her to shop during off-hours she would somehow always arrange that we went during the busiest time. She said that crowds were exciting and that after retirement her life was nice, but she needed all the "excitement" she could get. ;-)

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10625 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 6/4/2006 10:18 AM
"You can also add Saturdays and Sundays to that list."

The one consolation I find about Sundays now that I'm retired is that I no longer have that dread of the coming workweek that started to set in about late Sunday afternoon. Now, I look forward to what follows Sunday. Maybe because I'm still newly retired.

-drip

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10626 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 6/4/2006 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
The one consolation I find about Sundays now that I'm retired is that I no longer have that dread of the coming workweek that started to set in about late Sunday afternoon. Now, I look forward to what follows Sunday. Maybe because I'm still newly retired.

Actually, I've found that every day is a Saturday, and every night is a Friday night. I focus on remembering to shop for things during the middle of the day during the week, when few folks are out shopping. Plenty of parking, no traffic to speak of, and no lines at checkout.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10627 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 6/4/2006 2:11 PM
One of my rules is no work on weekends and holidays. When I worked that was often the only time I could get things done around the house. Now I do my projects on weekdays and just have fun on the weekends or holidays.

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10628 of 19380
Subject: Re: Holidays Date: 6/4/2006 6:17 PM
I dislike Sundays!

There is no mail delivery and things just kind of stop.
The daily mail oft brings bills and other missives which tell me how investments and accounts are progressing or not and also personal mail from folks not connected to the web.
Sundays, as well as three-day weekends, mean the latest Netflix selection won't arrive.

Regards,

Grumpy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement