Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Urban123 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196058  
Subject: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
NKJV Exodus 3:5 "Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground."

Joshua 5:15 "Then the Commander of the LORD's army said to Joshua, "Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy." And Joshua did so."

Do such places exist anymore? These are the only two references in scripture (although Stephen restates God's "standing on holy ground" words to Moses in Acts 7:33)

Urban
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73172 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 9:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<<<Do such places exist anymore? These are the only two references in scripture (although Stephen restates God's "standing on holy ground" words to Moses in Acts 7:33)>>>

IMHO, Holy Ground is anywhere God is present.

I remember being on a medical mission trip to Mexico and feeling God's presence in the middle of a garbage dump.

JLC

Author: W505a Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73173 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 10:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
Man, this board has every kind of discussion, from biblical reference (Holy Ground) to kinds of coffee . . . (Holy Grounds??)

Author: HisDelight Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73174 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 10:30 PM
W505a,

We do try to discuss all the world's problems and issues, and once we get tired of them or find that we can't solve them, we make up others. *g*

Good to have you with us--I like your sense of humor, by the way!

Holy Grounds? That might be Dunkin' Donuts, but I really should defer to Charlie for the final answer.

Pam

Author: Urban123 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73175 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 11:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
IMHO, Holy Ground is anywhere God is present.

I remember being on a medical mission trip to Mexico and feeling God's presence in the middle of a garbage dump.

That cannot be, or at least it doesn't seem to conform to the scriptural references I cited. In both of those two cases, the standee was asked to remove their sandals. I pray that, if you were walking around the garbage dump barefooted, you were wise enough to have gotten your tetanus shot recently updated! *s*

Seriously, I'm not sure that "being in the presence of God" (which can certainly happen everywhere and anywhere) is the same concept of what happened in the Genesis and Joshua examples. It wasn't just that God was present, He makes it clear that the ground is holy. What can that mean, and how/where does it occur?

Your brother in Christ,
Urban

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73177 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/6/2002 11:53 PM
<<IMHO, Holy Ground is anywhere God is present.>>

Do you know somewhere God is not?

Do you wear shoes?

Author: ericjh Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73190 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/7/2002 11:21 AM
Recommendations: 2

Do such places exist anymore?
Great question.
What made the ground holy? My guess is it was (past tense) Holy because of the presence of God.
If I am not mistaken in the ancient customs if your feet were clean, you were clean. We see this as Jesus washed His disciples feet.

I do not propose to know the mind of God, but it appears that God was emphasizing His presence to Moses and Joshua. Therefore requiring a sign of respect and submission to the Lord from the heart level.

Where is the presence of God today?
The Holy Spirit is present in each believer.
We are the living Temple of God.
We are commanded to be holy.
Where two or more are gathered in Jesus name He promises to be there among us.

I would propose, that wherever God's children are gathered in worship, obedience, and prayer is holy ground. Not because of the location, or the people, but because of the Awesome Presence of God.

Should we take our shoes off? In the physical sense I do not think it is necessary, however in the spiritual sense yes, we take our shoes off and exchange our dirty rags for the white robes of Jesus Righteousness and His Holiness. We are anointed with the power of the Holy Spirit. This is how we prepare ourselves for worship, prayer, and study. This is how we pray in the Spirit, we open ourselves and yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit.

Author: Giml Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73191 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/7/2002 11:22 AM
Recommendations: 0
>>>>NKJV Exodus 3:5 "Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground."

Joshua 5:15 "Then the Commander of the LORD's army said to Joshua, "Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy." And Joshua did so."

Do such places exist anymore? These are the only two references in scripture (although Stephen restates God's "standing on holy ground" words to Moses in Acts 7:33) <<<<
That is why most of the orthodox churches says one should remove
the shoes while entering the church building . If you enter the
church with shoes on basically you are entering a place with no God

regards

paul

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73254 of 196058
Subject: Re: Holy Ground Date: 2/8/2002 7:51 PM
<<<<<IMHO, Holy Ground is anywhere God is present.>>

Do you know somewhere God is not?>>>

I seriously doubt God is not in hell. But then again, to me, the diffinition of hell is seperation from or absence of God. Of course that's another thread.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement